Indian peacekeepers safe in Congo: UNNovember 6th, 2008 - 1:08 am ICT by IANS
United Nations, Nov 5 (IANS) Indian peacekeepers in Congo, who are caught in heavy fighting between the rebel commanders and the government forces in the North Kivu province are safe so far, a UN official said Wednesday.”They (Indian peacekeepers) are safe,” Michele Montas, spokesperson for the UN secretary-general told reporters at the UN headquarters in New York.
No injuries to any Indian peacekeepers have been reported so far, Montas said in response to a question.
Last week, at least one Indian official and two other personnel were injured, following which India had expressed its concern over the situation in Congo.
The latest clash between the rebels and the government forces is taking place in Rutshuru town where a unit of the Indian troops is deployed.
The Indian Army, with 4,500 personnel, is the largest contributor to the 17,000-strong UN peacekeeping mission in the Congo.
- Three killed Indian peacekeepers to be honoured - May 25, 2012
- UN condemns killing of Indian peacekeepers in Congo - Aug 19, 2010
- UN to mark day commemorating peacekeepers - May 27, 2011
- Indian peacekeepers recognised for services in Congo - Feb 02, 2010
- Army air unit going for Congo UN mission - Sep 06, 2011
- Indian peacekeepers honoured in Haiti - May 11, 2012
- Three Indian U.N. peacekeepers killed in D.R. Congo attack - Aug 19, 2010
- Pakistan second-largest troop contributor to UN - Jun 03, 2012
- Army concerned at attacks on Indian peacekeepers in Congo - Oct 30, 2008
- Decision on Congo in consultation with the UN: Antony - Oct 31, 2008
- UN approaches India, others for more troops for Congo - Nov 21, 2008
- Over 30 women beaten, raped in Congo on New Year's Day - Jan 07, 2011
- Indian Army probing sexual abuse charges against UN peacekeepers in Congo - Jun 07, 2011
- No reports of sexual violence by Indian troops in Kashmir: UN - Apr 06, 2011
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012