Indian Open Golf is back on Asian tour scheduleJune 17th, 2011 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) The Indian Open, the flagship golf event in India, will make its return for the 48th edition scheduled for Oct 13-16 and will carry an enhanced purse of $1.5 million.
Over the past few months, there had been controversy and uncertainty as the event did not figure in the schedule released by the Asian body.
The new and increased purse will make the Indian Open the richest full-field Asian Tour event. The event will now be promoted by Nimbus Sport, which signed a new arrangement with Asian tour for three years.
The Indian Open, held in 1964 for the first time, is one of the most popular events in the country. Its continued popularity has also inspired many aspiring young golfers to pick up the game of golf, making it one of the fastest growing sports in the sub-continent.
Asian Tour executive chairman Kyi Hla Han lauded Nimbus Sport’s latest commitment to the development of golf in India and said he is confident that the tournament will continue to grow from strength to strength.
“We are extremely pleased to enter into a long-term exclusive partnership with Nimbus Sport for the Indian Open. With an increased prize fund up for grabs this year, it promises to be an exciting week of golf,” said Han. “We will work closely with Nimbus Sport in putting together a grand event this year and building up to the ‘Golden Jubilee’ in 2013.”
Yannick Colaco, Chief Operating Officer Nimbus Sport is confident that the Indian Open will showcase the best of Asian golf.
“These are exciting times for professional golf in India, and for us to get into partnerships with the Indian Golf Union (IGU) and the Asian Tour reaffirms our commitment to building the commercial value of the sport,” said Colaco.
- Panasonic Open (India) launches $300,00 golf event on Asian Tour - Mar 22, 2011
- Indian Open golf moves to Bangalore - Aug 21, 2012
- Pakistan golf officials want India to revive Kirlosker Trophy - Jun 23, 2011
- Top juniors for IGU golf - May 25, 2012
- Bringing Indian hockey back to 'consumer radar' - Nov 14, 2011
- Hero Honda to back women's Pro Golf tour - Aug 01, 2010
- SAIL Open golf from March 30 - Mar 14, 2010
- Golf fast catching up with cricket in popularity (With image) - Jun 17, 2012
- Chennai Cheetahs, first WSH franchise to be unveiled - Nov 21, 2011
- European Challenge Tour to debut in India with Kensville Challenge - Dec 13, 2010
- Saif, Mika to perform at World Series Hockey opening - Feb 28, 2012
- Puravankara takes Bangalore for Louis Philippe golf - Nov 09, 2011
- Avantha Masters to make debut on Asian and European Tour - Dec 22, 2009
- Nine venues selected for World Series Hockey - Nov 12, 2011
- WSH and IHF to give cash incentives for hockey team's Olympic success - Nov 21, 2011
Tags: 5 million, asian body, asian golf, asian tour, chief operating officer, executive chairman, flagship, golden jubilee, golf event, golf union, golfers, grabs, hla, igu, New Delhi, open golf, professional golf, purse, strength to strength, tour executive