Indian Olympic medal winners’ tryst with childrenSeptember 8th, 2008 - 9:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 8 (IANS) “How did you feel after winning the Olympics medal?” “Are you getting help from the government?” - these posers came not from journalists, but from school children Monday. And at the receiving end were Beijing Games bronze medallists - pugilist Vijender Singh and wrestler Sushil Kumar.On a day’s visit to the city, the two medal winners spent two hours with students of the Purushottam Bhagchandka School, with a huge number of reporters, photo journalists and electronic camerapersons in tow - a testimony to their new-found stardom after the Olympics.
The two visited classrooms, chatted with the children, teachers and fans who managed to sneak in, after being greeted with bouquets by the students.
“We wake up very early. Then we have to follow a rigorous exercise regime. Taking the right food in adequate quantity is also very important,” said Vijender, who finished third in the Middleweight (75 kg) category at Beijing.
The student who wanted to know the secret for maintaining such a physique, seemed over the moon at having received the answer from Vijender.
Sushil, who clinched the bronze in 66 kg freestyle at Beijing, did most of the talking.
“I am very excited. Its great to be with children. They are so innocent,” said Sushil.
To another query from a small boy who wanted to know his feelings moments after winning the medal, Sushil said: “It was a great feeling. After all, you are bringing glory to your country. I remembered my parents, my countrymen.”
Responding to the query on the extent of government help he has received, Sushil gave a guarded reply: “The government is now helping me a lot.”
The duo was felicitated and presented mementos by the school authorities.
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vijender powers his way to pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Under-pressure Vijender hopes to book London berth in Astana - Apr 02, 2012
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Indian athletes' London tryst amid soaring expectations - Jul 26, 2012
- India hails Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar - Aug 12, 2012
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- The best Olympics for India (Review) - Aug 12, 2012
- We have to adapt to changing styles of wrestling: Sushil Kumar (Interview) - Apr 28, 2012
- Sushil Kumar to be India's flag bearer at Olympics - Jul 15, 2012
- President congratulates Mary Kom - Aug 10, 2012
- India at London Olympics (Schedule) - Jul 27, 2012
- Yeh dil maange more, says boxer Vijender - Jul 24, 2012
- Sushil Kumar's Olympic saga (Factfile) - Aug 12, 2012