Indian Navy’s new academy set to open in Kerala, finallyDecember 31st, 2008 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
Ezhimala (Kerala), Dec 31 (IANS) Almost 22 years after its foundation stone was laid, the Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala, on this promontory overlooking the Arabian Sea, is ready for inauguration.Meanwhile, the cost of setting up the academy at this historic spot in Kerala’s Kannur district has gone up from Rs.1.66 billion ($35 million) to Rs.7.21 billion ($150 million).
The academy will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Jan 8. Defence Minister A.K. Antony - who had watched then prime minister Rajiv Gandhi lay the foundation stone on Jan 17, 1987 - will be present.
“The project was initially envisaged to cost Rs.166 crore (Rs.1.66 billion). After 22 years the project when completed would cost Rs.721 crore (Rs.7.21 billion),” Antony said last week.
About Rs.500 million were spent on assuring proper water supply in the academy, developing roads and other infrastructural facilities.
Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala, will conduct B.Tech courses for 750 cadets and commissioned officers from the academic session commencing next year. The engineering programmes have been drawn up by the Indian Navy in conjunction with Delhi’s Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE).
Officers from other nations will also be eligible to attend the programmes.
The academy is being set up so that all officers joining the Indian Navy pass through it and the entire officer cadre is initiated into naval life from a common background.
It will be run by Kochi-based Southern Naval Command headed by Rear Admiral M.P. Muraleedharan.
The academy, spread over nearly 1,000 acres, is situated on a promontory that was the capital of the ancient Mooshika kings. It was a flourishing sea port and centre of trade in ancient Kerala and one of the major battle fields during Chola-Chera war in 11th century AD. It is believed that Lord Buddha visited Ezhimala.
- Indian Navy's academy in Kerala finally set to open (Lead) - Dec 31, 2008
- Navy must be prepared for threats coming across sea: PM - Jan 08, 2009
- Man who initiated India's new navy school forgotten now - Jan 07, 2009
- Asia's biggest naval academy designed by Chandigarh woman - Jan 08, 2009
- Coast Guard to get its own training academy - May 26, 2011
- Indian Navy wins international sailing regatta - Dec 13, 2010
- Antony to commission modernised Goa Shipyard Saturday - May 19, 2011
- Adarsh scam guilty will not be spared: Antony - May 28, 2011
- Former Indian Navy chief Adm. Dawson dies - Oct 24, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Ezhimala naval academy Thursday - Jan 07, 2009
- Indian Navy to get new budget control system - Aug 10, 2012
- Show of might at president's naval fleet review Dec 20 - Dec 15, 2011
- As Chinese influence looms, Antony to visit Maldives - Sep 12, 2012
- Antony lays foundation stone of warship facility in Kerala - Jan 04, 2011
- Coastal security has become 'immediate agenda' of Govt., says Antony - Jan 04, 2011