Indian Navy warship foils hijack attempt off Aden (Lead)November 11th, 2008 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Nov 11 (IANS) In a daring rescue mission, an Indian Navy warship patrolling the Gulf of Aden successfully foiled an attempt by pirates to hijack an Indian merchant vessel Tuesday morning.According to the Indian Navy, at around 10.30 a.m. Tuesday, the Indian vessel M.V. Jag Arnav sent an SOS message about a hijacking attempt on it, around 60 nautical miles to east of Aden.
An unidentified Indian Navy warship, patrolling the area, picked up the alarm message and decided to send a rescue mission.
An armed helicopter with marine commandos took off from the naval ship for the mission.
Reaching there shortly, the helicopter attacked the pirates by firing on them and forced them to flee.
The ship was soon joined by the Indian Navy warship, which then escorted M.V. Jag Arnav to safety.
The rescued ship is a 38,000 tonne-bulk carrier, owned by The Great Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd. It had transited the Suez Canal a few days ago and was bound eastward in the Gulf of Aden when pirates attacked the vessel.
Timely intervention by the Indian Navy warship prevented yet another hijacking incident in the pirate-infested seas off the northern African coast, the navy said.
Incidentally, the Indian Navy has been engaged in anti-piracy patrolling in the Gulf of Aden since the past three weeks to keep an eye over vessels passing the region.
A sizeable portion of India’s imports flow through the Gulf of Aden and there has been a quantum increase in the number of piracy attacks there in the past few months.
The patrolling is carried out in coordination with the Ministry of Shipping and intended to protect Indian merchant vessels from piracy attacks as well as instill confidence in India’s large seafaring community.
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Indian Navy foils hijacks of two ships off Aden (Third Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 11, 2008
- Indian Navy warship foils hijack attempt off Aden - Nov 11, 2008
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols - Jun 12, 2012
- Fresh pirate attack on freed vessel, India rushes warship (Second Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Indian Navy escorted 900 foreign ships in Gulf of Aden - Jun 18, 2010
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt in Gulf of Aden - Sep 06, 2010
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Navy warship on anti-piracy patrol intercepts foreign dhow (Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- Indian Navy warship deployed near Somali coast to free sailors - Apr 19, 2011
- Iranian Navy rescues supertanker from Somali pirates - Apr 23, 2010
- Indian Navy repulses pirate attack on Indian merchant vessel (Second Lead, changing dateline) - Nov 11, 2008