Indian Navy seeks nuclear-powered subsMay 9th, 2008 - 8:20 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 9 (IANS) The Indian Navy, besides eyeing nuclear-powered submarines, will soon be inducting six new submarines to become a true “blue water navy”, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Sureesh Mehta said Friday. “As per the long term perspective plan of the Indian Navy, presently 34 ships are under construction at different shipyards of the country and six submarines would be inducted soon,” Mehta told reporters at the end of the three-day Naval Commanders’ Conference here.
The Navy will soon be floating tenders for six submarines, apart from the six French Scorpene subs being built indigenously.
Mehta said the Indian Navy essentially required three aircraft carriers and nuclear- powered submarines to strengthen its fleet strength and to ensure operational capability.
The nuclear-powered submarines could be equipped with conventional or nuclear weapons, he added.
Indian Navy currently maintains a fleet of 16 submarines and is planning to acquire a nuclear-powered submarine from Russia.
Presently, the only aircraft carrier of the Indian Navy ‘INS Viraat’ is undergoing a refit and is non-operational. The ship is being readied as a stop-gap arrangement till ‘INS Vikramaditya’ - formerly ‘Gorshkov’ purchased from Russia - is inducted into the Indian Navy.
The Naval Commanders’ Conference, the highest decision-making body of the Indian Navy, commenced May 7.
The annual conference deliberated upon major operational issues with regard to the defence of the nation’s maritime interests, coastal security, defence of national assets at sea, naval strategy, its own operational and acquisition plans and the course corrections required to remain relevant with the times as also to maintain synergy with the other two services.
- Indian Navy in fast forward mode (With Image) - May 16, 2012
- India's carrier, n-sub programme delayed - Aug 08, 2012
- Indo-French naval exercise to help anti-piracy operations - Jan 08, 2011
- Leased Russian N-submarine to reach India by month-end - Mar 14, 2012
- Indian Navy to focus on manpower, operational assets - Oct 14, 2011
- Show of might at president's naval fleet review Dec 20 - Dec 15, 2011
- After delays, Scorpene submarine now on track: Navy chief - Dec 02, 2010
- Indian Navy to majorly increase combat capabilities - Dec 01, 2010
- Russian n-sub for Indian Navy coming soon: Envoy - Dec 07, 2011
- Russian submarine to reach Indian shores mid-March - Feb 28, 2012
- Nuke-powered submarine to boost India's underwater warfare capability - Apr 03, 2012
- Leased Russian n-submarine to set sail for India this month end - Dec 15, 2011
- India's n-submarine Arihant to be commissioned 2012 (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- President to review Indian Navy fleet December 20 - Jun 07, 2011
- Navy to operate Viraat aircraft carrier for another decade - Jan 19, 2011