Indian Navy foils piracy attempt on foreign vesselDecember 20th, 2009 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 20 (IANS) An Indian Navy warship, patrolling the piracy-infested Gulf of Aden, has thwarted a piracy attempt on a foreign vessel, a Navy official said Sunday.
“INS Godavari got a distress call at 5:30 p.m. yesterday (Saturday) that a pirate’s skiff was approaching them. Immediately, a helicopter was launched,” said an Indian Navy official, adding that the helicopter fired warning shots at the skiff.
“A team was also sent on board the skiff and all the materials like ladders used to board ships. The seven to eight pirates had thrown all their weapons in the sea and due to lack of any evidence to prosecute them, they were released,” the official said.
This was the second successful anti-piracy operation by INS Godavari that has been deputed in Somalia waters since mid-November. The warship is now on its way back to India and will be replaced by INS Ganga.
The Gulf of Aden is one of the busiest shipping lanes in the world. The Indian Navy has deployed its warships in the region since late last year to thwart piracy attempts.
- Indian warship thwarts pirate attack on Greek vessel - Jul 19, 2011
- Navy thwarts pirate attack on two cargo ships - Sep 26, 2011
- Navy warship on anti-piracy patrol intercepts foreign dhow (Lead) - Dec 04, 2010
- Indian Navy foils piracy attempt off Gulf of Aden - Dec 07, 2009
- Indian marine commandos chase pirate ship away from Arabian Sea - Nov 30, 2010
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt - Nov 11, 2011
- Indian warship foils fourth piracy bid in Gulf of Aden (Lead, With Images) - May 29, 2009
- Indian Navy deploys another warship off Seychelles - Nov 23, 2009
- Anti-piracy operations: India, China discuss information sharing - Jan 11, 2010
- Cargo ships may have armed guards to fight pirates - Mar 15, 2011
- Did our best to help Indian sailors of MV Suez: Navy chief - Jun 24, 2011
- South Korea to join India-China-Japan anti-piracy patrols (Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Pirate ship sunk by navy, Coast Guard in Arabian Sea (Lead) - Jan 29, 2011
- EU NAVFOR disrupts Somali pirate attack - Nov 17, 2010
- Indian Navy foils another piracy attempt in Gulf of Aden - Sep 06, 2010
Tags: anti piracy, attempts, board ships, distress call, foils, godavari, gulf of aden, helicopter, indian navy, ins, navy official, New Delhi, pirate, pirates, shipping lanes, skiff, somalia, warning shots, warships, weapons