Indian Mujahideen member arrested from Bihar (Second Lead)February 22nd, 2012 - 9:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 22 (IANS) A special team of Delhi Police has arrested a key member of the outlawed Indian Mujahideen (IM) from Darbhanga district in Bihar, police said here Wednesday. A court has sent him to 15 days in police custody.
Kafeel Ahmed, 50, whom police described as the banned group’s motivator, was arrested from Darbhanga district Tuesday and brought to Delhi Wednesday, said an official.
“Including Ahmed, a total of 10 members of Indian Mujahideen have been arrested since November 22 last year,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ashok Chand said.
Earlier this month, Mohd Tarique Anjuman, claimed to be a founder-member of the Indian Mujahideen, was caught in a suburb of Patna.
“Ahmed has been working for the group for three years as a motivator, recruiter and communicator. He has been residing in Bihar for many years and has his relations with Ahmed Siddi Bappa alias Shahrukh, a key member of IM terror outfit,” said Chand.
According to Chand, he used to look after a local mosque and run his cycle-repair shop in Darbhanga. “No criminal cases were lodged against him till date,” he said.
He said that he had joined the module in 2008 and came in contact with Bappa, who had been assisting him in planning terror strikes.
He also used to convey messages to other operatives of the module.
“He used to recruit local youth after brainwashing their mind. He had a key role in providing safe hideouts to the terrorists,” Chand said.
Ahmed was presented before the court of Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Vinod Yadav, who sent him to 15 days police custody till March 6 after police submitted that they wanted to interrogate him to get details about his role, the organisation and its operations in the country.
- Indian Mujahideen member arrested from Bihar - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen member arrested from Bihar (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen targeting Darbhanga for recruits? - Apr 03, 2012
- India Mujahideen terrorist arrested from UP - May 14, 2012
- Six Indian Mujahideen suspects held for terror attacks - Nov 30, 2011
- Rs.15 lakh reward for clues about IM mastermind - Dec 01, 2011
- Another Indian Mujahideen member held, say Delhi Police - Feb 07, 2012
- Indian Mujahideen suspect arrested in Delhi (Lead) - Mar 28, 2012
- IM operative linked to Jama Masjid blast nabbed: Police - Feb 03, 2012
- Mumbai police claim cracking 13/7 blasts; centre baffled (Second Lead) - Jan 24, 2012
- Nitish Kumar to raise arrest of terror suspect with centre - May 08, 2012
- 13/7 Mumbai blasts case cracked, three suspects held (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Don't link Bihar with 13/7 terrorists: Nitish Kumar - Jan 24, 2012
- Terror suspect's arrest violated law: Nitish Kumar to Gowda - May 13, 2012
- Murdered IM operative's family demands CBI probe - Jun 09, 2012
Tags: ahmed, anjuman, ashok, brainwashing, chand, commissioner of police, crime branch, delhi police, deputy commissioner, founder member, hideouts, key role, magistrate, motivator, mujahideen, operatives, police crime, police custody, recruiter, yadav