Indian military delegation to visit ChinaApril 27th, 2011 - 6:02 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, April 27 (IANS) An Indian military delegation will soon visit China, an official said Wednesday.
The delegation will include officers from several branches of India’s military, said Geng Yansheng, spokesperson for the Chinese defence ministry at a press briefing.
No details of the visit were given.
Xinhua quoted Geng as saying that “new breakthroughs” have emerged in Sino-Indian military ties.
Only by observing the guidelines of mutual respect, understanding and accommodation and seeking common ground while “reserving some differences” can the two militaries enhance their strategic mutual trust, Geng said.
The Chinese side will promote exchanges and cooperation with India in various fields and at different levels, he said.
Earlier this month, India and China had agreed to resume high-level defence exchanges, stalled after Beijing denied a proper visa to a senior Indian army officer serving in Jammu and Kashmir.
The decision was taken at a meeting April 13 between Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Chinese President Hu Jintao in the Chinese coastal resort of Sanya on the sidelines of the BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa) summit. The two leaders discussed a range of bilateral and global issues.
National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon told reporters after the 50-minute meeting that “following the discussions in the last few months about these exchanges, it has been agreed that a multi-command Indian army delegation will be visiting China later this year”.
“And we are also discussing further exchanges and visits in this sector during the year,’ Menon added.
India suspended defence exchanges last August, strongly objecting to China issuing a visa on a loose sheet to Lt. Gen. B.S. Jaswal, then the army’s Northern Command chief who was based in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Indian military delegation to visit China (Lead) - Apr 27, 2011
- India, China to resume high-level military exchanges - Apr 13, 2011
- Visa row: Indian military team's China visit called off (Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- India-China to hold joint military exercise soon - Apr 13, 2011
- India, China planning joint army exercise in 2012 - Nov 13, 2011
- Visa row: Indian military team's China visit called off (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- India-China defence dialogue Friday - Dec 08, 2011
- Indian military team's China visit is on - Jan 07, 2012
- India, China move to resolve disputes, increase trade (Roundup) - Apr 13, 2011
- Indian military team leaving for China Sunday - Jun 18, 2011
- India sending first military delegation to China in a year - Jun 16, 2011
- India, China to discuss regional security Dec 9 - Nov 30, 2011
- China keen to avoid 'diplomacy issues' concerning India, Pakistan - Jun 24, 2012
- China sparks row, denies visa to IAF officer from Arunachal - Jan 06, 2012
- Will China keep its promise of undoing stapled visas? - Apr 05, 2011
Tags: africa summit, china beijing, chinese defence, chinese president hu jintao, chinese side, hu jintao, india china, indian army, indian army officer, indian prime minister, indian prime minister manmohan singh, jammu and kashmir, manmohan singh, military delegation, military ties, national security advisor, president hu jintao, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, proper visa