Indian mayors to embark on study tour to FranceSeptember 25th, 2008 - 2:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 25 (IANS) Mayors from fourteen Indian cities will focus on “heritage as a driving force for economic and social improvement of a city” during a nine-day study tour to France that begins Friday, an organiser said. The Indian Heritage Cities Network (IHCN) has initiated the tour for the administrators.
Of the seventeen member cities of the network, 14 cities - Ahmedabad, Bharatpur, Burhanpur, Indore, Jaipur, Jabalpur, Jodhpur, Gwalior, Leh, Maheshwar, Pondicherry, Udaipur, Ujjain and Srinagar - will participate in the tour jointly organised by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural organization (Unesco) and the French Historic Cities Association (Anvpah).
According to the organisers, the French experience “will provide an occasion to discuss how a city’s historic areas, traditional houses, streets and spaces can be adapted to modern living without compromising the city’s unique character”.
The participants will have the opportunity to share information about emerging challenges of Indian urbanisation with their French counterparts, and also meet Serge Santelli, Nathelle Wolberg and Pierre Bouch, who are professors at the School of Architecture, Paris and Strasbourg, respectively.
The professors along with other planners from the National School for Architectural Conservation Paris and the Ecole Chaillot have been working on planning Indian cities for some years.
The team will return to India Oct 4, after forging city-city partnerships and bilateral cooperation. They are to meet in November at Hyderabad to share experiences and foster newly developed partnerships from their tour.
- French help for Bhopal heritage conservation - Sep 28, 2011
- Eighth wonder? Bhopal too has a Taj Mahal! - Dec 09, 2010
- India muse to new age 'land art' (With Image) - Apr 28, 2012
- India, Switzerland, UN brainstorm on urban heritage - Sep 09, 2010
- US hails Indian diaspora's role in strengthening ties - Oct 11, 2011
- Gandhi looking for pedestal in French heritage town - Jan 29, 2011
- Chennai activists promote city's heritage among school kids - Dec 01, 2009
- Banerjee puts railway stations in makeover mode - Feb 25, 2011
- Rethinking heritage conservation in India (April 18 is World Heritage Day) - Apr 17, 2011
- China to celebrate cultural heritage - Jun 08, 2012
- Professionals fear development projects may hamper city's heritage values - Sep 14, 2010
- 'Recognise Yamuna as heritage entity' (April 18 is World Heritage Day) - Apr 17, 2011
- Etihad Airways signs deal with French railway - Jul 06, 2011
- Once Madras, Chennai turns 372 - Aug 22, 2011
- He took Obamas down the passages of history - Nov 07, 2010