Indian markets rally as global cues turn positive (Lead)February 25th, 2009 - 1:14 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 25 (IANS) Indian equities markets took strength from other global markets Wednesday, which responded positively to Federal Reserve chairman Ben Bernanke’s assessment that US economy could begin to turn around this year.
The 30-scrip Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) sensitive index (Sensex), which opened at 8,913.44 points, was at 8,958.67 points shortly before noon, a rise of 133.44 points or 1.51 percent from its previous close.
Similarly, the S&P CNX Nifty index of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) gained 1.57 percent from its last close to rule at 2,776.9 points.
The BSE midcap index was 1.59 percent higher, while the BSE smallcap index was up 1.52 percent.
Only one out of the 13 sectoral indices on BSE, the index for FMCG stocks, was in the negative.
Among the gainers on the Sensex were Mahindra and Mahindra (up 5.76 percent at Rs.312.10), Tata Motors (up 5.22 percent at Rs.139) and Hindalco (up 4.6 percent at Rs.40.90).
The only two losers were ITC (down 1.22 percent at Rs.178.55) and Hindustan Unilever (down 0.34 percent to Rs.252).
In other Asian markets, a key Japanese index, the Nikkei of the Tokyo Stock Exchange, was ruling at 7,350.34 points, 1.13 percent higher than its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, was ruling 0.73 percent above its last close.
US stocks made their strongest gains in a month Tuesday drawing hope from Bernanke’s assessment.
The blue-chip Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 236.16 points, or 3.32 percent, to 7,350.94 points.
The broader Standard and Poor’s 500 index rallied 29.81 points, or 4.01 percent, to 773.14 points while the technology-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index leapt 54.11 points, or 3.9 percent, to 1,441.83 points.
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Roundup) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, oil and gas, auto stocks down (Second Lead) - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down 89.56 points in noon trade - May 14, 2012
- Sensex down 31 points, banking, realty stocks fall - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex up 100 points on firm Asian cues - Aug 23, 2012
- Sensex down; consumer durables, auto stocks fall - Jul 18, 2012
- Sensex closes 16 points down (Second lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Sensex closes 43 points high (Second lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Sensex rises 120 points, FMCG, realty, metal stocks up - May 17, 2012
- Sensex closes flat, FMCG, PSU stocks up (Second Lead) - Sep 13, 2012
- Sensex closes 105 points lower, realty, bank stocks slump (Second Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex rises 87 points, power, IT stocks up - Jun 27, 2012
- Sensex down 35.68 points, oil and gas stocks fall - May 25, 2012
- Sensex up 144 points in noon trade - May 10, 2012