Indian in UK jailed for driving test scamAugust 16th, 2008 - 1:37 pm ICT by IANS
London, Aug 16 (IANS) An Indian illegal immigrant to the UK has been jailed for impersonating more than 30 learner drivers at theory tests for money. Palwinder Singh Johal, who entered the UK in 2006, had repeatedly gone to test centres and sat the written exams on behalf of learner drivers. He was caught when officials noticed that the same bank account was being used to pay multiple test fees.
Alex Durran, prosecuting, told Oxford Crown Court that Johal was also spotted because of his high success rate.
She added: “CCTV images show Mr Johal taking tests at a number of test centres from Birmingham to Chelmsford, from Croydon to Staines.”
Miss Durran told the court that when Johal’s home in Slough was searched by police last year, more than £9,000 in cash was found, Daily Mail reports.
Balhar Singh, with whom Johal was sharing the house, was also arrested. However, he failed to answer bail and is still at large.
Durran said that Johal told police he was paid £100 per test and that he agreed to the scheme to pay back £20,000 to the people who helped him come to the UK illegally.
After failing to answer bail, Johal was arrested in April this year while trying to take a construction safety test in Oxford. Johal will be deported to India at the end of his sentence.
- Man jailed for driving test impersonation - Aug 03, 2011
- Scam in Rajasthan pre-medical test for third time - Jul 26, 2011
- Puducherry minister faces axe after exam impersonation charges - Nov 12, 2011
- Pak-origin Brit Tory Councilor charged with bigamy - Aug 05, 2010
- Key Supreme Court decisions in 2011 (With Law yearender) - Dec 28, 2011
- Aussie man charged with drink-driving en route to driving test! - Feb 14, 2011
- Seven arrested for open school exam fraud - Apr 24, 2012
- Two woman, aide to face trial for exam fraud - Jun 20, 2011
- Three held in Haryana for medical test fraud - Jun 30, 2012
- 'Foolproof' steps against cheating in UP pre-medical tests - Jun 01, 2012
- Seven held in Britain on terror funding charges - May 01, 2012
- 'Oxford, India collaborating on particle, cancer research' - Mar 22, 2012
- Reddy supporters protest his arrest - Sep 06, 2011
- Not murder, says Oxford don's widow; Indian-origin academic gets bail (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Man seeks driving licence despite 92 failures! - Jan 24, 2012