Indian golfers lying second at Nomura CupAugust 16th, 2011 - 10:01 pm ICT by IANS
Denarau (Fiji), Aug 16 (IANS) The Indian Golf Union’s amateur team made an impressive start with a steady display from their top three golfers, all of whom fired under-par rounds to help India position themselves in second place at the end of the first round of the biennial Asia-Pacific Golf Championships for the Nomura Cup at the Denarau Golf course here.
As National champion, S. Chikkarangappa and Faldo Series Asia champion Abhijit Chadha shot three-under 69 each, Khalin Joshi of Bangalore brought in a card of two-under 70. The fourth player in the squad, Angad Cheema was also under par at one-under 71. With the best three scores counting, India had a total of 208, just one behind the favoured Australians, who are at 207. New Zealand, another strong team is third at 211.
With morning rains leaving the Denarau Golf Course water-logged, play had to be suspended for two and a half hours. The first group which had to tee off at 9 am left at 11.30 am.
The wet and soggy conditions also meant that players were asked to carry their own bags, instead of being allowed on carts, as carts, it was felt would damage the soft course.
This is one of the strongest Indian teams ever with Chikka having been part of the winning Indian junior team at Asian Championships, while Chadha has won a team silver in Asian Games and also topped Faldo Series Asia Grand Final this year.
Indians have won the Nomura Cup only once back in 1973.
Team: 1. Australia 207; 2. India 208; 3. New Zealand 211
- India slips to third place in Nomura Cup - Aug 17, 2011
- India win team medal at Nomura Cup after 18 years - Aug 19, 2011
- Chikka leads Indian golf team for Nomura Cup in Fiji - Aug 13, 2011
- Third-placed India stay in hunt for medal at Nomura Cup - Aug 18, 2011
- Chikka rallies in final round; wins individual, team Inter-state golf titles - Jun 17, 2011
- Chadha moves to top, Chikka lying second at Inter State Golf - Jun 16, 2011
- Strong Indian contingent for Asian amateur golf championship - Sep 26, 2011
- Chikkarangappa in lead at Southern India Amateur golf - Jun 22, 2011
- Chikkarangappa wins Southern India Amateur Golf title - Jun 24, 2011
- Baisoya, Bhandari top strokeplay in All India Amateur golf - Jan 18, 2012
- India's Chadha lies third at Malaysian amateur golf - May 19, 2011
- Chikkarangappa takes lead at Southern India Amateur golf - Jun 21, 2011
- Baisoya joins Chikka, Angad, Khalin at Eastern India Matchplay semis - Dec 23, 2011
- Delhi's Semwal leads in Inter-state golf - Jun 14, 2011
- Chikka grabs Western India Golf title - Nov 04, 2011