Indian gets $10,665 compensation after 27-year battleJuly 9th, 2008 - 12:42 pm ICT by IANS
Dubai, July 9 (IANS) An Indian engineer, who once worked in Saudi Arabia before becoming physically challenged after an automobile accident, has been awarded 40,000 Saudi riyals ($10,665) after a 27-year legal battle. Ajay Basker, who was involved in the accident March 26, 1981, was handed over the money at his hometown in India, the Saudi Gazette reported.
“This case is one of the most significant legal follow-ups made by the embassy of India (in Saudi Arabia) in recent times,” P. Balachander, welfare officer at the Indian embassy in Saudi Arabia, told the newspaper.
“The embassy exerted all efforts to help Basker get his rights,” he said, adding that the Indian embassy expressed its thanks and deep appreciation to the Saudi court officials who helped Basker receive his compensation.
Basker was a 22-year-old civil engineer working for Poken Arabia Contracting Company, when he met with the accident while he was on his way to the oasis city of Ha’il in northwestern Saudi Arabia from Jeddah.
He sustained serious head injuries and remained in coma for eight months.
Two other Indians - Narayan Dutt Joshi and Philipose - who were travelling with him had died instantly in the incident.
Basker was repatriated to India Nov 16, 1981, a partially paralysed man with memory loss.
However, he never gave up hope and fought the long and arduous legal battle even as he eked out a living operating a telephone booth.
- 27-year wait has finally borne fruit: Indian engineer - Jul 09, 2008
- Krishna leaves for Saudi Arabia - Mar 25, 2011
- Salman Khurshid arrives for Saudi Arabian prince's funeral - Jun 17, 2012
- India urged to repatriate undocumented Indians - Mar 01, 2010
- UAE's exports to Saudi Arabia exceed $266 bn - Sep 04, 2010
- Missing engineer's parents to stage hunger strike - May 24, 2012
- 78 Indian workers left high and dry in Saudi Arabia - Jul 04, 2012
- Kerala nurses stranded in Saudi Arabia - Mar 11, 2012
- Andhra minister returns home after row over Saudi visit - Oct 22, 2010
- Saudi ordered to read Quran as wife-beating punishment - May 11, 2012
- 'Take up issue of stranded Keralites in Saudi Arabia' - Oct 19, 2011
- Saudi Arabia honours Indian envoy - Jul 12, 2011
- Pak envoy describes WikiLeaks' documents as misleading, ridiculous - Dec 06, 2010
- Pakistan, Saudi Arabia to enhance cooperation - Aug 10, 2011
- India, S.Arabia businesses to enhance and strengthen business cooperation - Feb 24, 2011