Indian fishermen protesting Sri Lanka action call off strikeJuly 17th, 2008 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, July 17 (IANS) Fishermen in Tamil Nadu’s Rameshwaram, who were on strike against the Sri Lankan Navy’s killing of Indian fishermen, withdrew their indefinite strike following the intervention of Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi, the government said Thursday. Karunanidhi held talks with the representatives of the fishermen as their strike entered the 13th day. The Sri Lankan Navy had fired at the Indian fishermen off Nagappattinam coast, they said.
“The chief minister told us that our prime minister will take up the matter with Sri Lanka during the forthcoming South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (Saarc) summit and that an ex-gratia payment of Rs.300,000 would be given per person who died in Sri Lankan firing. Similar other promises have also resulted in our withdrawing our strike,” N.J. Bose, president of the Rameshwaram fishermen’s body, told reporters.
As the fishermen got an assurance from the chief minister, two protest movements called by pro-Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) political parties are likely to be withdrawn. The pro-LTTE parties had said that they would hold protest demonstrations at the Sri Lankan deputy high commission here next week.
India and Sri Lanka are separated by the narrow Palk Straits.
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- Jayalalithaa writes to PM over attacks on fishermen - Oct 11, 2011
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- Fringe pro-LTTE groups behind Tamil Nadu violence: Sri Lankan envoy (Interview) - Sep 06, 2012
- Secure fishermen's release from Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Jul 05, 2012
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Fisherman's death: India protests killing, Sri Lanka denies incident (Roundup) - Jan 13, 2011
- Fisherman killing: India registers formal complaint with Sri Lanka - Jan 13, 2011
- Prime Minister asked to take up fishermen arrest issue with Sri Lanka - Jul 23, 2012
- India to take up fishermen killings with Colombo - Jan 23, 2011
- Sri Lankan minister threatens protest in India - Apr 23, 2012
- Fisherman killing: Jayalalithaa takes on Centre, demands PM's resignation - Jan 26, 2011
- Move to stop attacks on fishermen: Jayalalithaa, Karunanidhi - Aug 20, 2012
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Karunanidhi asks Colombo to respect bilateral accord on fishermen - Feb 01, 2011