Indian fishermen allege attack by Sri Lankan NavyJanuary 9th, 2009 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Rameshwaram (Tamil Nadu), Jan 9 (IANS) Some Indian fishermen have alleged they were beaten up by Sri Lankan Navy personnel near the Kachchatheevu island in the early hours of Friday but there has been no official confirmation of the attack.”We were fishing around Kachchatheevu island and the Lankan Navy suddenly surrounded us and beat us up. We were also attacked with bayonets,” K. Albert Raju, one of the fishermen, told reporters.
He showed injuries on his arms and legs and alleged he and at least five others aboard four fishing boats had been attacked by Sri Lankan naval personnel. The last such incident is alleged to have taken place only 10 days ago.
An Indian defence official said on condition of anonymity: “Since we are on high alert to prevent any unidentified craft crossing into our borders due to fears of infiltration from the sea, the report surprises us.”
Speaking on the phone from state capital Chennai, 600 km north of here, Sri Lankan diplomatic sources also denied any hand on the part of the defence establishment.
“Our naval officials told us they were nowhere in the vicinity of Kachchatheevu at that time,” the source said.
Kachchatheevu, an an atoll in the Palk Strait, the narrow expanse of water that separates India and Sri Lanka, was ceded to the neighbouring island nation in 1974.
Sri Lankan authorities often allege the hand of the rebel Tamil Tigers in such attacks in order to whip up Tamil sentiments in India to support its separatist struggle.
- Sri Lanka Navy harassing Indian fishermen: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- India should assert with Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa - Nov 16, 2011
- Take up fishermen harassment issue with Sri Lankan government: Jayalalithaa - Jun 28, 2012
- Sri Lankan Tamils must live dignified lives: Jayalalithaa - Jun 14, 2011
- India asks Sri Lanka to free fishermen - Jul 26, 2012
- India-Sri Lanka joint sea patrolling sought - Mar 29, 2012
- India asks Sri Lanka to free Indian fishermen - Jul 23, 2012
- Take strong stand against Sri Lanka: Jayalalithaa urges PM - Nov 07, 2011
- Attacks on Indian fishermen has fallen, says Krishna - Aug 11, 2010
- Delhi High Court refused to meddle in Kachchativu (Comment) - Sep 18, 2012
- MDMK leader goes on hunger strike protesting against fishermen killings - Feb 06, 2011
- DMK for new pact with Colombo over Katchathivu - Feb 03, 2011
- India, Sri Lanka trying to solve issue of trespassing fishermen - Apr 04, 2009
- Attacks on fishermen should be seen as provocation: Jayalalithaa - Oct 09, 2011
- Fishermen killings: Rao to convey India's concerns to Sri Lanka - Jan 28, 2011