Indian fisherman killed by pirates off Saudi Arabia coastJanuary 19th, 2009 - 1:36 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 19 (IANS) A 38-year-old Indian operator of a small fishing craft in Saudi Arabia has been shot dead by pirates, family sources said Monday. The victim, Diyanson, was from Kanyakumari on the southern tip of the Indian mainland. “My brother-in-law Mahesh informed me early morning today (Monday) that pirates off the Saudi Arabia coast indiscriminately opened fire killing my husband Diyanson two days ago. Six of his colleagues from nearby villages miraculously escaped,” the victim’s wife D. Seshu Mary told IANS on phone.
The family has no further details or any clue on when the victim’s body would be sent to India.
“Mahesh lives some 1,000 km away from where my husband lived in Saudi Arabia and therefore very few details are available. Based on what Mahesh said I fear it may take more than a month before I bury Diyanson,” Mary said from this small Tamil Nadu town.
“I have filed a report in the nearby Friday Market police station and have sought diplomatic help to bring my husband’s body home,” she said. Diyanson is survived by his wife and three children, all below seven.
According to the family, Diyanson had been working in Saudi Arabia for the past 16 years. He last visited his hometown in July.
Bureaucrats in Chennai said that upon getting complete details from the family and other official channels, diplomats would be requested to arrange to send the body quickly.
- Two Indians slaving it out on Saudi camel farm - Apr 19, 2012
- Terror suspect engineer's wife seeks fast track trial - Jul 01, 2012
- Family shocked at Bihar engineer's arrest on terror charges - May 21, 2012
- Mubarak's wife attempted suicide over corruption charges - Feb 08, 2012
- Saudi king's 'rotten' Zardari greatest obstacle to Pak progress remark may hit ties - Nov 29, 2010
- Abu Jindal's mother says he is innocent - Jun 28, 2012
- With husband's body not released, Indian woman in limbo in Saudi Arabia - Oct 22, 2010
- Man holds wife, in-laws hostage for not paying dowry - May 07, 2012
- Fire kills five members of Pune family - May 06, 2011
- 26/11 plotter Jundal abandoned family for terrorism - Jul 08, 2012
- Get Indian fishermen jailed in Qatar released: Jayalalithaa - Oct 25, 2010
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Missing engineer's wife questions Nitish Kumar's silence - Jun 26, 2012
- Osama's youngest wife to leave Pakistan for Yemen - Jun 22, 2011
- Missing engineer's parents to stage hunger strike - May 24, 2012