Indian excels in Asian junior squashJune 23rd, 2011 - 12:22 pm ICT by IANS
Amman (Jordan), June 23 (IANS) India’s Aparajitha Balamurukan made her maiden appearance in the girls under-19 semi-finals of the Asian Junior Squash Championships after defeating higher ranked 3/4 seed Ka Yi Lee from Hong Kong here.
Aparajitha defeated Ka Yi Lee 11-8 11-8 8-11 7-11 11-5.
Joining Aparajitha was 3/4 seeded Anaka Alankamony who defeated fellow-Indian Ankita Sharma in straight games Wednesday night.
There was more joy for the Indians as Ranjit Singh (Boys under 13), Adya Advani (Girls under 15), Kush Kumar (Boys under 17), and Ramit Tandon and Mahesh Mangaonkar (Boys under 19) also reached semi-finals in their respective categories.
The girls under 13 and 17 quarterfinals are scheduled for Thursday and India will be strongly represented.
Aparajitha was determined to avenge her loss to Ka Yi Lee earlier this year at the Asian Team Championships in Sri Lanka. The first game saw Aparajitha play flawless drives to rattle her opponent from the back winning it 11-8.
In the second, the Indian became deceptive and Lee was unable to handle the pace and control of Aparajitha. However, the Indian, in her eagerness to finish the match, committed errors by playing more to the front giving Lee openings which were put away.
Lee fought back to win the next two games and levelled the match 2-2. Aparajitha started the fifth game with the same aggression she played the first game and Lee made a series of errors to lose the match.
- Mahesh, Anaka in finals of Indian Open squash - Sep 09, 2011
- Ashitha leads Indians into Asian Junior squash semis - Jun 21, 2012
- Ashita puts out second seed Akanksha in Indian Open squash - Sep 08, 2011
- World Junior Squash: Anaka, Mahesh in last eight - Jul 10, 2012
- Anaka in quarterfinals of British Open junior squash - Jan 04, 2012
- Indian girls advance in world junior team squash - Jul 27, 2011
- Hei survives a scare in Indian Open junior squash - Aug 30, 2012
- World Junior Squash: Aparajitha rallies to win - Jul 09, 2012
- Winning start by Indian teams at Asian Squash - May 02, 2012
- India go down fighting to US in squash championship - Jul 30, 2011
- World Junior Squash - Anaka in round of 16 - Jul 22, 2011
- India win eight titles in ITTF junior TT event - Oct 02, 2011
- Ghosal, Pallikal in title round of National Squash championship - Dec 09, 2011
- Kush upsets Alsaraj for junior squash title - Sep 10, 2011
- Indian girls finish fourth in World junior squash - Jul 31, 2011
Tags: advani, adya, aggression, asian team, eagerness, fifth game, first game, june 23, junior squash, mahesh, match 2, opponent, quarterfinals, ramit, ranjit singh, semi finals, squash championships, straight games, two games, wednesday night