Indian escapes rape charge as his English is poorSeptember 2nd, 2008 - 11:00 am ICT by IANS
London, Sep 2 (IANS) A Swindon court let off an Indian youth with a conditional discharge in an attempted rape case involving a sex worker after the judge accepted the plea that his grasp of English was poor.Jafarkhan Palayangara claimed he came to the UK from India looking for work as a cinematic dancer and gave a Southampton address where he said he lived with his brother.
He did not understand the deal he had struck with the sex worker in June because of his poor grasp of English. He then attacked the woman because he wasn’t happy with the services she had provided him. And the 26-year-old ended up charged with attempted rape following the fracas in Swindon’s red light area.
But after considering his side of the story prosecutors at the town’s crown court accepted his plea to common assault and dropped the more serious charge.
Colin Meeke, prosecuting, said the decision was based on the defendant’s “lack of understanding and poor English” and the “nature of the occupation” of the victim.
He told the court: “There was a dispute over the nature of the services she was to provide, he having handed over his money. There was clearly some sexual congress, not what he wanted, not what he expected, not what he thought he had paid for. He wanted his money back and there was a struggle. That struggle became vigorous. Her screams attracted local residents. They found the defendant astride her and one kicked him off. He was fairly quickly arrested.”
He said the victim had suffered no physical injuries of note in the scuffle and the assault was taking hold of her wrist and sitting on her, according to the Swindon Advertiser.
Palayangara pleaded guilty to common assault. Andrew Hobson, defending, said his client had not been in the country long when the incident happened. He said his client had learned a lesson from his congress with the sex worker.
- Asian brothers convicted of grooming schoolgirls for sex - Aug 09, 2012
- Australian man raped woman for 13 hours - May 11, 2011
- Apex court reserves verdict on Talwars' trial transfer plea - Feb 27, 2012
- US man admits to raping, keeping woman in closet - Jan 29, 2011
- British soldier jailed for rape - Mar 10, 2012
- Gang in Britain jailed for rape as Eid celebrations - Apr 21, 2012
- Man sentenced to death for raping nine in China - Feb 01, 2011
- Kiwi father 'tried to rape daughter under the ruse of sex ed' - Oct 14, 2010
- Indian men charged with molestation not rape of Indian girl in Dubai - Feb 28, 2011
- Honeymoon murder: Indian-origin woman may have been raped' - Dec 06, 2010
- Kiwi 'bra man' charged with indecent assault - Jan 23, 2011
- Forensic doc rules out rape in Dubai school bus incident - Mar 17, 2011
- American Apparel CEO's lawyer says nude photos show ex-worker wasn't sex prisoner - Mar 26, 2011
- British boy, 12, jailed for raping two girls - Jul 14, 2012
- Paedophile schoolteacher films himself abusing girls - Jun 11, 2011