Indian equities go up and down, but stay in green (Lead)October 20th, 2008 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Oct 20 (IANS) The Indian equities markets opened strong, rallied for some time and again lost ground in volatile trading Monday after three successive days of losses last week that had seen a key index dip to the four-digit level for the first time in over two years.Mid-afternoon the sensitive index (Sensex) of the Bombay Stock Exchange was ruling at 10,245.48, up 270.13 points or 2.71 percent against its previous close Friday at 9,975.35 points.
The Sensex opened at 10,160.47 points, rallied to touch an intra-day high of 10,538.05, a gain of 562.7 points or 5.64 percent against its previous close before sliding again.
At the National Stock Exchange, the broader 50-share S&P CNX Nifty index also showed a similar trend - opened strong, rallied and then began to slide to rule at 3,130.25, up 55.9 points or 1.82 percent from its previous close Friday at 3,074.35 points.
The Nifty had also moved up by more than 250 points before sliding.
The BSE midcap index was at 3,525.01, down 19.83 points or 0.56 percent from its previous close Friday at 3,544.84 points.
The BSE smallcap index was at 4,133.58, down 34.28 points or 0.82 percent from its previous close Friday at 4,167.86.
Analysts said the initial rally was on short covering as there was news that the market regulator was contemplating a ban on short sales. Besides, there was enough profit opportunity as the Sensex had slid by nearly 2,000 points over the last week.
“But there is still too much uncertainty and while you can price risk, you cannot price uncertainty, so any rally we may see may be short-lived,” said Jagannadham Thunuguntla, head of the capital markets arm of India’s fourth largest share brokerage firm, the Delhi-based SMC Group.
“There is still no confidence in the market and no one is willing to lend or invest,” said Gautam Mazumdar, chief underwriting officer of HDFC ERGO General Insurance Co. Ltd.
- Indian equities end in green after volatile day (Second Lead) - Oct 20, 2008
- Key equities index ends green but jitters continue (Roundup) - Oct 20, 2008
- Sensex closes 337 points higher on ECB bond buying plan (Roundup) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex closes 338 points high, Tata Steel stock soars (Second Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex soars 314 points, Tata Steel stocks gain (Lead) - Sep 07, 2012
- Sensex gains 146 points, auto banking stocks up (Lead) - Jul 10, 2012
- Sensex zooms 324 points, Tata Steel biggest gainer - Sep 07, 2012
- Markets quiet in noon trade, FMCG, IT scrips gain - Mar 23, 2012
- Sensex jumps 443 points on US stimulus, diesel price hike (Roundup) - Sep 14, 2012
- Sensex closes 31 points down (Roundup) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sensex closes 88 points lower in see-saw trade (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Sensex closes flat in choppy trade (Lead) - May 25, 2012
- Best week for Sensex in over two years - Dec 02, 2011
- Sensex rallies on global cues, closes 567 points higher - Aug 29, 2011
- Markets close flat as traders await monetary policy (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012