Indian embassy downplays attack on diplomat’s car in NepalNovember 21st, 2008 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Kathmandu, Nov 21 (IANS) A day after the car of an Indian diplomat was stoned by a mob in Kathmandu, the Indian embassy here tried to downplay the incident Friday, saying that it was not a specific “attack on an Indian diplomat or Indian interests or property in Nepal”.The embassy said it would not lodge any protest with the foreign ministry in Nepal and that the incident should be viewed in the context of the general strike called on Thursday that had crippled the capital.
On Thursday, a civil society group backed by cadres of the Communist Party of Nepal-Unified Marxist Leninist (UML) - a member of the Maoist-led coalition government, and the main opposition party - the Nepali Congress of former prime minister Girija Prasad Koirala, had called a general strike in Kathmandu valley to protest the alleged killing of two young men by the Maoists.
Several vehicles were attacked by mobs who patrolled the streets to enforce the closure.
S.K. Joshi, the head of chancery at the Indian embassy, faced an irate mob while going to work in the morning. Though he was not injured in the stone throwing, the car was damaged.
In separate incidents, protesters also stoned an ambulance and a UN vehicle though all such vehicles are allowed safe passage during strikes and other disturbances.
- Indian diplomat's car attacked as strike cripples Kathmandu (Lead, Changing dateline) - Nov 20, 2008
- Chinese vice-premier begins Nepal visit amid bribe scandal - Sep 11, 2010
- Nepal Maoists blame India for failure to form government - Jul 03, 2010
- After Nepal Lever, ITC and Dabur Nepal face indefinite closure - Mar 09, 2011
- Pen losing its might over sword in Nepal - Apr 15, 2010
- Krishna leaves for Nepal Friday, 5 pacts on the way (Lead) - Jan 14, 2010
- Nepal's battle with UN intensifies despite extension - Sep 16, 2010
- Violence in Anantnag after youth run over by army vehicle (Lead) - Mar 10, 2012
- MEA summons Nepal Ambassador over attack on Indian envoy - Oct 23, 2010
- Slapped politician is new Nepal PM - Feb 03, 2011
- Royalists call shutdowns in Nepal over ex-crown prince's arrest - Dec 15, 2010
- Mumbai journalist's murder touches chord in Nepal - Jun 12, 2011
- Indian embassy responds to Nepal foreign ministry on threat - Aug 10, 2010
- '3 Idiots' leaves mark on Nepal politics - Jan 08, 2010
- Nepal's opposition parties to hold anti-PM rally - Jun 02, 2012