Indian companies created 5,000 British jobs in 2007 (Lead)May 21st, 2008 - 8:03 pm ICT by admin
By Dipankar De Sarkar
London, May 21 (IANS) Seventy Indian companies set up in Britain last year created 5,000 jobs, Britain’s trade and investment minister said ahead of a meeting with India’s Minister of State for Industry Ashwani Kumar Wednesday. Trade between India and Britain grew by 9.1 percent last year, adding around 9 billion pounds to the total value, Lord Digby Jones told a gathering of British investors here.
In a speech to business executives at the India Investors Summit, the British minister also welcomed Indian High Commissioner Shiv Shankar Mukherjee’s statement Monday night that the economic reforms process in India is “irreversible”.
But Jones stressed that the speed of reforms was also “crucial”.
Speaking in the context of Tata Motors’ acquisition of Jaguar and Land Rover earlier this year, the British minister pointed to the “responsibility of Tata the employers - the responsibility that comes with being an inward investor”.
In his meeting with Ashwani Kumar, Jones suggested that India and Britain work together to find technology solutions to climate change in partnership with countries like the US, Germany and France.
Kumar said British businesses could play a greater role than they do now in India’s physical and social infrastructure development, which needs an investment of $1.5 trillion in the next ten years.
- British trade minister to visit India next week (Lead) - Mar 11, 2011
- 'Indian companies created 5,000 British jobs in 2007' - May 21, 2008
- British trade minister to visit India next week - Mar 11, 2011
- A factsheet on the Tata Group - Nov 24, 2011
- Prince Andrew to interact with Mumbai businessmen - Mar 06, 2010
- Britain hopes for EU-India free trade accord this year - Mar 18, 2011
- Jaguar to launch limited edition supercar - May 06, 2011
- Worker dies at Jaguar Land Rover factory - Sep 27, 2011
- S&P; raises Tata Motors ratings - Jul 09, 2012
- Jaguar-Land Rover eyes booming China market - Jul 06, 2012
- Tata Motors to build 2,000 Land Rovers a year in Pune plant - Mar 02, 2011
- 'Indian investments way out for Britain from recession' (Lead) - Jun 25, 2009
- Companies have no choice but to be in India: Ashwani Kumar - Jan 27, 2012
- India will restore investor confidence, Krishna tells US - Jun 13, 2012
- Vodafone tax row will be settled amicably: Britain - Jan 19, 2011