Indian community celebrates Baisakhi in PolandApril 13th, 2008 - 4:43 pm ICT by admin
By Surender Bhutani
Warsaw, April 13 (IANS) The Indian community celebrated Baisakhi with traditional fanfare at a gurdwara in the Polish capital. This is the only Sikh shrine in the whole of Eastern Europe. Some 2,000 Indians are based in Warsaw, and the gurdwara has become the focal point of religious activities. The preachers have come from Amritsar, with help from the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee.
Right from the early morning, the devotees thronged the gurdwara to attend ceremonies starting with the recitation of gurubani. A community lunch, known as `langar’, was organised.
Speaking to IANS, gurdwara committee president J.J. Singh expressed satisfaction with the help provided by non-Sikhs.
“Though there are only 12 Sikh families in Warsaw, yet the cooperation from other communities is great. A big majority of the Sindhis are also devotees of Guru Nanak’s teachings,” he said.
“The cooperation between Sikhs and Sindhis has a history of more than 500 years. We are happy that the functioning of the gurdwara is the result of the same brotherly feelings between Sikhs and Sindhis.”
The construction of a new gurdwara will start soon. The Polish government has given the necessary permission.
- Guru Nanak's birth anniversary celebrated with fervour (Lead) - Nov 21, 2010
- From translation screens to ACs, gurdwaras go hi-tech (Feature) - May 02, 2012
- Devotees visit Amritsar's Golden Temple on Baisakhi - Apr 14, 2011
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012
- Poland bows to Sikh demand on turban row - Sep 09, 2010
- Prayers, devotion mark Gurpurab in Punjab, Haryana - Nov 10, 2011
- Indian community mourns death of Polish president - Apr 10, 2010
- Chaurasia's magic flute charms Poles - May 17, 2012
- Sehajdhari Sikhs want cancellation of SGPC poll - Dec 21, 2011
- Sikh group leaves for Pakistan to mark Baisakhi with relatives - Apr 11, 2010
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- Punjab celebrates Gurpurab - Nov 21, 2010
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Dubai's grand gurdwara brings religion, tradition alive in style (With Images) - Jul 03, 2012
- India, Poland agree on audio-visual cooperation - Jul 05, 2012