Indian chef in London creates ‘world’s hottest curry’July 10th, 2008 - 6:13 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 10 (IANS) Vivek Singh, a London-based Indian chef, has created a dish that he says is the world’s hottest curry. It is so hot it comes with a health warning. Singh, who is the chef of The Cinnamon Club, has named his creation the Bollywood Burner - a lamb curry that was commissioned by Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Media to mark the launch of its new ‘Bollywood On Demand’ service.
Before ordering the curry diners are required to sign a disclaimer saying they are aware of the nature and risks involved with tasting the curry before eating it.
Inspired by Andhra cuisine, Singh uses the Naga pepper and its seeds, which, on the Scoville scale that measures the piquancy of peppers, has a figure of 855,000 - over 100 times hotter than the better-known jalapeno pepper.
“We found a list of the 10 hottest chillies and decided to try and use some of them. I think it will be the hottest curry in the world,” said Singh.
But he said the Bollywood Burner may not regularly appear on the menu: “I would create it on demand for customers but will not include it all the time. I think it’s just too extreme a dish.”
The Bollywood Burner is being submitted to the Guinness World Records for verification of its status as the world’s hottest curry. The results should be announced in two to three weeks.
- Naga Viper Named World's Hottest Chili Pepper - Dec 05, 2010
- Indian chef creates Worlds Hottest Curry! - Jul 10, 2008
- Curry Hell to rival the Bollywood Burner - Jul 13, 2008
- Paint-peeling Naga Viper chili pepper set to become world's spiciest - Dec 05, 2010
- Hottest chili pepper in the world is Naga Viper - Dec 06, 2010
- World's hottest chilli is 'hot enough to strip paint' - Oct 21, 2010
- Brits 'craving for food 400 times hotter than what used to be in the 1960s' - Aug 04, 2010
- Aspiring chef dies after eating hot chilly sauce - Sep 30, 2008
- Scottish butcher claims his 'Devil's Sausage' is world's hottest - Apr 16, 2011
- Indian chef makes curry that helps people sleep - Aug 09, 2012
- Globe's Hottest Chili To Serve The Indian Armed Forces - Mar 24, 2010
- World's hottest chilli grown in UK can leave one 'shaking uncontrollably' - Feb 18, 2011
- Indian chefs Worlds Hottest Curry fails in record attempt - Jul 26, 2008
- India, and its art of spices - Jun 20, 2011
- Kashmiri wazwan fest tickles Delhi's taste buds (Eating out with IANS) (With images) - Nov 15, 2009