Indian cardinal in Rome for Alponsa canonisation takes illOctober 12th, 2008 - 11:26 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 12 (IANS) Cardinal Varkey Vithayathil, head of the Indian Catholic delegation that is in Vatican City for the canonisation of Kerala nun Sister Alphonsa, has been hospitalised due to chest pain, members of the Indian delegation said Sunday. itted to hospital Saturday, could not attend the holy mass at the Basilica of St. Anthony where Sister Alphonsa’s biography was read out.
Congress legislator K.V. Thomas, who is part of the Indian delegation, confirmed the news and said Vithayathil’s condition is stable now.
He will not be able to attend the canonisation ceremony as he will be in hospital, a delegation member said.
Pope Benedict had cleared Sister Alphonsa’s name for canonisation on June 1, 2007, a process that was started 55 years ago. She was beatified by Pope John Paul II in 1986 in Kottayam, 40 years after her death.
Alphonsa was born in Kudamaloor, a village near Kottayam, to Joseph and Mary Aug 19, 1910, and after facing several health problems she died July 28, 1946, in Bharnanganam.
She will be the second saint from India to be canonised.
In the 19th century, Saint Gonsalo Garcia, born in Vasai near Mumbai to an Indian mother and Portuguese father in 1556, was declared a saint.
- Sister Alphonsa becomes India's first woman saint (Lead) - Oct 12, 2008
- Indian delegation for Vatican for Sister Alphonsa's canonisation (Lead) - Oct 09, 2008
- Indian delegation for Vatican for Sister Alphonsa's canonisation - Oct 09, 2008
- Orissa Christians hold special prayers for Sister Alphonsa - Oct 12, 2008
- Sister Alphonsa is first Indian Catholic nun to be made saint (Second Lead) - Oct 12, 2008
- Pranab Mukherjee releases commemorative coins of Saint Alphonsa - Aug 23, 2009
- Oscar Fernandes to lead team to Sister Alphonsa canonization - Oct 07, 2008
- Church readies to celebrate first Indian saint's canonisation - Oct 04, 2008
- Kerala town rejoices for native saint-to-be - Oct 11, 2008
- Postal stamp on Saint Alphonsa released - Nov 16, 2008
- Syro Malabar Catholic Archbishop Vithayathil passes away - Apr 01, 2011
- First Indian nun to be canonised in Vatican today - Oct 12, 2008
- Bells chime in Kerala as devout mark sainthood of Alphonsa - Oct 12, 2008
- Over 100,000 take part in function for Saint Alphonsa - Nov 09, 2008
- Alphonsa was always determined to be nun (Profile of Saint Alphonsa) - Oct 12, 2008