Indian capital records 60 percent voter turnoutNovember 29th, 2008 - 9:46 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 29 (IANS) Over 60 percent of Delhi’s 10.5 million eligible voters exercised their franchise Saturday, election officials said here. Chief Electoral Officer of Delhi Satbir Silas Bedi informed reporters about the voter turnout while saying that details of balloting at a few polling stations were still being collated.
Polling for 69 of Delhi’s assembly seats was sluggish in the early hours but picked up as the day progressed with long queues of voters seen in almost all constituencies.
Delhi has 70 seats but polling for one constituency was deferred following the death of Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) candidate Puran Chand Yogi.
- 57 percent turnout in Delhi re-poll - Dec 02, 2008
- Re-poll at nine Delhi polling stations Tuesday - Dec 01, 2008
- Heavy, peaceful turnout in Andhra by-polls (Third Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Over 75 percent polling expected in Manipur: Poll panel (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- UP polls' fourth phase also sees high turnout, peaceful balloting (Night Lead) - Feb 19, 2012
- 80 percent turnout in Andhra by-polls (Night Lead) - Jun 12, 2012
- Mumbai standoff over, polling picks up in Delhi (Second Lead) - Nov 29, 2008
- India-Pakistan match, marriages cast shadow on Andhra bypolls - Mar 18, 2012
- Polling reaches 60 percent in Goa - Mar 03, 2012
- UP voter turnout 60 percent, may rise: Poll panel (Lead) - Feb 08, 2012
- High voter turnout a victory: Poll panel - Mar 05, 2012
- Polling ends in Delhi - May 07, 2009
- Over 85 percent turnout in Bengal's peaceful phase two polling (Intro Roundup) - Apr 23, 2011
- BJP ropes in Khurana for postponed Delhi seat election - Dec 12, 2008
- Millions vote in by-polls in six states (Roundup) - Nov 30, 2011