Indian Canadian wanted in 1999 slaying arrested in USAugust 24th, 2011 - 3:38 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 24 (IANS) A Indian-Canadian truck driver who had been sought for more than 12 years in the slaying of his former Indian girlfriend in Canada has been arrested after a traffic stop in southern California.
Ninderjit Singh, a Canadian citizen who lives in San Jacinto, California, is being detained on a provisional arrest warrant, the first step toward extraditing him to Vancouver, US immigration officials said Tuesday.
Singh is wanted there in the 1999 shooting death of Poonam Randhawa, according to a statement from US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).
The case was featured on “America’s Most Wanted” in July 2000. According to Vancouver detectives, the programme generated a number of leads, but the fugitive continued to elude capture.
But within the past two weeks, agents with ICE’s Homeland Security Investigations received information from Vancouver police that Singh, 33, might be in the Los Angeles area. HSI agents quickly located Singh, who had been making a delivery out of state, and began tracking his movements.
At about 11:30 a.m. Friday, California Highway Patrol officers pulled Singh’s big rig over in Irvine and issued him a ticket. Thumbprints taken during the traffic stop verified Singh as the long-sought fugitive, and he was arrested.
According to authorities, Randhawa was last seen alive with Singh in a vehicle near her school in Vancouver and her body was found a short time later on a nearby street.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- US seizes stolen statues from Indian art dealer - Jul 28, 2012
- U.S. and Mexico offer $5.8 million reward for information regarding shootings of 2 ICE agents - Mar 31, 2011
- Ujjal Dosanjh wants Canada to keep ex-KGB spy - Dec 21, 2009
- U.S. arrests 'most wanted' fugitive at New York airport after extradition from Ukraine - Jan 28, 2011
- Delta employees arrested in Detroit airport for international drug smuggling - Apr 29, 2011
- 40 migrants detained in raids on US restaurant chain - Apr 21, 2011
- Four more Indian students freed of radio tags in US - Feb 25, 2011
- India raises issue of sham US varsity students - Feb 14, 2011
- Another US varsity with hundreds of Indian students under scanner - Jul 29, 2011
- US opens helpline for 'sham' varsity's students - Jan 29, 2011
- Hollywood actor, wife flee into Canada, seek asylum - Oct 23, 2010
- Tri-Valley University head indicted in visa fraud - May 04, 2011
- US deported 396,000 in 2011 fiscal year - Oct 19, 2011
- FBI nabs mob boss James 'Whitey' Bulger after 16-year search - Jun 23, 2011
- Three choices for sham US varsity students; radio tags come off 2 Indians - Feb 10, 2011
Tags: america s most wanted, arrest warrant, arun kumar, big rig, california highway patrol, canadian citizen, detectives, fugitive, homeland security, immigration and customs enforcement, immigration officials, nearby street, randhawa, san jacinto california, security investigations, short time, southern california, traffic stop, us immigration and customs enforcement, vancouver police