Indian basketball coaches on US tourFebruary 19th, 2012 - 5:36 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Feb 19 (IANS) Fourteen Indian basketball coaches are in the US on a 10-day tour as part of an exchange programme with the aim of improving standards and methods in India.
The visit is sponsored by the State Department and the National Basketball Association (NBA State).
The February 17-27 Sports Visitor programme begins in Washington, where the delegation will meet with US basketball coaches, work with young American athletes, participate in a basketball clinic with Special Olympics athletes, and engage in activities focused on teambuilding and injury prevention.
For the final days of their programme, the delegation will travel to Orlando, Florida to attend NBA coaching clinics and sessions surrounding NBA All-Star 2012, the State Department said.
This Sports Visitor programme marks SportsUnited’s second basketball exchange with India. In February 2011, NBA Hall-of-Famer George Gervin and six-time WNBA All-Star Katie Smith travelled to India as part of the State Department’s sports diplomacy programme.
As part of the programme, 42 NBA and WNBA players and coaches have visited 20 different countries since 2004, where they have conducted basketball clinics for thousands of young boys, girls and coaches.
Since 2003, SportsUnited, the State Department’s sports exchange programme has brought almost 900 athletes from 59 countries to the US to participate in Sport Visitor programmes.
Since 2005, SportsUnited has sent over 200 US athletes to more than 50 countries to participate in Sport Envoy programmes.
(Arun Kumar can be contacted at email@example.com)
- US basketball stars to interact with Mumbai, Delhi students - Feb 17, 2011
- US basketball professionals train Myanmar players - Aug 28, 2012
- US sponsors India-Pakistan girls soccer exchange - Sep 10, 2012
- NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal announces retirement after 19 years - Jun 02, 2011
- China plays down expectations for dominance at Olympics - Jul 26, 2012
- NBA legend Abdul-Jabbar pays visit to Flamengo - Jan 28, 2012
- US fighting childhood obesity with sports - May 15, 2012
- Houston awarded 2013 NBA All-Star Game - Feb 09, 2012
- Evans wins slam dunk, Love shoots down three-point contest - Feb 26, 2012
- Chris Bosh's 911 call for dying masseuse released - Jun 13, 2012
- Nicole Powell Excited About NBA All-Star Experience - Feb 14, 2010
- Deprived US youths win scholarship through basketball - Jun 26, 2011
- Former NBA star says 3-a-side game suits India - Sep 11, 2012
- Make this World Cup the last with leather balls: PETA - Mar 24, 2011
- Rs.260 crore allocated for London Olympics: Maken - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: american athletes, arun kumar, basketball clinic, basketball clinics, basketball coaches, boys girls, george gervin, hall of famer, indian basketball, injury prevention, katie smith, national basketball association, nba all star, nba hall of famer, nba hall of famer george, olympics athletes, s sports, special olympics, sports exchange, wnba players