Indian automobile industry turnover $145 bn by 2016: PatelSeptember 5th, 2012 - 6:00 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) Heavy Industries Minister Praful Patel Wednesday said the Indian automobile and auto component industry turnover will reach $145 billion by 2016 to account for more than 10 percent of gross domestic product (GDP).
“The output of the automobile and auto component industry would reach $145 billion by 2016, accounting for more than 10 percent of the country’s GDP and in turn generate employment for more than a million people,” Patel said in his address to the annual convention of Automotive Component Manufacturers Association of India (ACMA).
Patel advised the Indian auto component industry to invest more in research and development (R&D;) for moving up the value chain and become globally competitive so as to increase exports through bilateral routes and regional free trade agreements (FTAs).
According to the minister, the growth of the industry has led the government to review targets set for the industry under the automotive mission plan 2006-16.
“As per the 12th Five Year Plan, the ministry is reviewing targets set up under the Automotive Mission Plan 2006-16,” Patel said.
The auto component industry in India has witnessed robust growth over the last five years at 15 percent compounded annual growth rate.
- Separate financing arm for auto components manufacturers: Minister - Sep 03, 2009
- FICCI calls for upping the auto export target - Oct 04, 2010
- Auto component industry turnover at $22 billion in 2009-10 - Aug 18, 2010
- Inverted duty structures in FTAs not good: ACMA - Aug 18, 2010
- Auto component industry to grow by 12-15 percent in 2011-12 - Aug 30, 2011
- Higher auto components' import foreseen - Mar 07, 2010
- South India now prime hub for auto components, say experts - Feb 08, 2011
- Auto-component industry to grow to $110 bn by 2020: ACMA - Aug 27, 2010
- Indian industry should create 100 million jobs: Plan panel - Jan 20, 2011
- Maruti Suzuki unviels compact SUV - Jan 05, 2012
- Lumax investing Rs.150 crore on new plants, capacity - Sep 06, 2011
- Mexican auto sector willing to accept quotas - Mar 15, 2012
- Pawan Goenka is new automobile society president - Aug 28, 2009
- Auto component sector demands labour reforms - Aug 30, 2011
- Audi to build $1.3 bn plant in Mexico - Sep 07, 2012