Indian artist to create climate change sculpture in JapanJanuary 22nd, 2012 - 4:58 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, Jan 22 (IANS) Indian sand artist Sudarsan Pattnaik said Sunday he will craft a sculpture in Japan’s Sapporo city next month on the impact of climate change.
He said he has been invited to participate in the 39th International Snow Sculpture Contest at the Sapporo Snow Festival where he has planned to create a three-metre-high image of the globe and the face of a man on snow.
“Two of my students, Jitendra Kishore Jagadev and Bulu Mohanty, will help me to build the sculpture in the six days contest to be held from Feb 6,” Pattnaik told IANS over phone from his home town Puri, 56 km from here.
“We will not use any sand. The sculpture will be created using only snow,” he said. The artist said his team is the lone participant from India in the contest that will see representation from 14 other countries.
Pattnaik, who has participated in about 50 international sand sculpture competitions, runs an art school called Golden Sand Art Institute in his home town.
- Indian sand artist wins gold in Spain (With Image) - Jul 18, 2012
- Indian sand artist wins prize in Denmark (With Image) - Sep 05, 2012
- A huge sand cake for Sachin! - Apr 22, 2011
- Huge sand cake for birthday boy Sachin (With Image) - Apr 23, 2011
- Sand artist creates image on earth quake - Sep 20, 2011
- Sand image on beach in Hazare's support - Aug 13, 2011
- Odisha artist makes ailing Big B's sand image (With Image) - Feb 19, 2012
- Santa in sand, courtesy Odisha artist (With Image) - Dec 25, 2011
- Sand artist Pattnaik conferred honorary doctorate - May 02, 2012
- Mubarak's sand sculpture created in Orissa (With Image) - Feb 05, 2011
- Sand artist pays tribute to Dev Anand - Dec 05, 2011
- Indian sand artist selected for Moscow championship - Apr 15, 2011
- Orissa sculptor wins prize in Moscow - May 16, 2011
- Sandy tribute to Japan tsunami victims (With Images) - Mar 12, 2011
- 125-ft-long sand cricket bat to usher World Cup (With Image) - Feb 12, 2011
Tags: art institute, art school, bhubaneswar, bulu, climate change, globe, golden sand, India, indian artist, international sand, international snow, mohanty, participant, sand art, sand sculpture, sapporo city, sapporo snow festival, sculpture competitions, six days, snow sculpture contest