Indian Army transfer row endsFebruary 25th, 2008 - 11:00 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) A simmering Indian Army row over the shifting of a three-star general who heads the crucial Northern Command that guards Jammu and Kashmir ended Monday with the defence ministry saying the transfer stands. Lt. Gen. H.S. Panag would replace Lt. Gen. O.P. Nandrajog, who retires Feb 29, as the general officer commanding-in-chief (GOC-in-C) of the Central Command, a defence ministry statement said.
Lt. Gen. P.C. Bhardwaj, presently GOC 14 Corps, has been promoted as army commander and posted as GOC-in-C Northern Command, the statement added.
Panag had protested the transfer and had even sought and been granted a meeting with Defence Minister A.K. Antony earlier this year to explain his side of the picture.
Going by Monday’s announcement, it is clear that Antony decided to go by precedent and accepted the Indian Army chief’s recommendations on transfers.
In other appointments, Lt. Gen. V.K. Singh, presently GOC 2 Corps, has been promoted as army commander and posted as GOC-in-C Eastern Command. He replaces Lt. Gen. K.S. Jamwal who also retires Feb 29.
Singh is in line to succeed the Indian Army chief, Gen. Deepak Kapoor, when he retires in 2010.
“All the army commanders will assume their new assignments from March 1,” the defence ministry statement said.
Maj. Gen. J.P. Singh, presently deputy commandant of the Armoured Corps School and Centre has been promoted to three-star rank and posted as GOC of 2 Corps.
Maj. Gen. V.K. Ahluwalia, presently additional director general of military training is to be the GOC of 14 Corps on promotion to three-star rank.
- SC dismisses plea against Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh (Second Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Sukna scam: Rath questions revision order - Jul 13, 2011
- V.K.Singh takes over as Indian Army chief - Mar 31, 2010
- Avadesh Prakesh senior-most officer to be dismissed from Army (To go with 'Sukna scam: Lt Gen Avadesh Prakash dismissed from service') - Dec 03, 2011
- Letter on army chief my personal opinion: Amarinder - Jan 03, 2012
- V.K. Singh bids army adieu, leaving legacy of acrimony - May 30, 2012
- V.K. Singh retires, ending controversial tenure (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Army rejects defence ministry's order on chief's age - Aug 23, 2011
- Uncertainty over Indian Army chief's age rages - Dec 26, 2011
- Amidst age row, Indian Army chief meets key aides - Jan 02, 2012
- Army chief's plea to change age rejected, to retire in May 2012 (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished service - Apr 17, 2012
- Scams that rocked defence ministry since 2007 [To go with 'Bribe offer shocked me out of wits: Army chief (Lead)'] - Mar 26, 2012
- All is not well at South Block, still - Apr 03, 2012
- Maharashtra's largest tricolour unfurled in NDA (With Images) - Apr 28, 2012