Indian Army to hold 20 war games with friendly nationsJanuary 29th, 2012 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 29 (IANS) In its bid to have greater engagement with foreign militaries, Indian Army will this year hold between 15 to 20 bilateral war games with friendly nations like the US, Russia, France and Britain, apart from neighbours Bangladesh, Myanmar and Nepal, officers said Sunday.
The exercises, mostly focusing on counter-insurgency and anti-terrorism manoeuvres, will help in honing the skills of Indian and other friendly troops in different scenarios, and improve their interoperability, as required under United Nation’s multinational joint military efforts for world peace.
Among the first exercises this year will be with Singapore at Babina in Uttar Pradesh, close to Jhansi, this March, officers said.
During the India-Singapore exercise, both sides will pit their mechanised forces and tanks in battle with terrorists in an urban scenario. The exercise is likely to be called “Bold Kurukshetra”, officers said.
“Indian Army’s counter-insurgency skills are much sought after by global powers due to the five-decade experience that we have gained in the northeastern states and Jammu and Kashmir,” the officers said.
With the US, the Indian Army’s mechanised infantry forces will hold an exercise, “Yudh Abhyas”, in Rajasthan this year, when they will both field their tanks and armoured personnel carrier.
Most other exercises are still in the works and the venues and dates will be finalised soon, officers said. The other nations to join the exercises this year will be Mongolia, Bangladesh, Nepal, Australia, and Central Asian nations.
In 2011 too, India had held 16 military exercises with other friendly nations such as Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Mongolia.
In October 2011, India held its first ever army exercise with French Army called “Shakti-2011″ at Chaubatia in Uttarakhand.
- Indian Army ramps up joint exercises with foreign militaries - Sep 29, 2011
- India, US war drill kicks off in Rajasthan - Mar 05, 2012
- India-US army exercise concludes - Oct 29, 2009
- US troops to celebrate Holi with Indian Army - Feb 27, 2012
- US-Indian Army exercise begins in UP - Oct 19, 2009
- India, Russia counter-terrorism exercise in August - Jun 19, 2012
- India, France perfect counter-insurgency warfare skills - Oct 21, 2011
- US would welcome `profesional' Indian Army in Iraq and Afghanistan - Oct 26, 2009
- India-US joint military exercise kicks off - Oct 12, 2009
- India, Singapore troops hold joint exercise - Mar 26, 2011
- India, Singapore test tank warfare skills - Mar 27, 2012
- India, Indonesia troops train in guerrilla warfare - Mar 01, 2012
- Gen. V.K. Singh: Tough soldier who lost a legal battle (Profile) - Feb 10, 2012
- Indian Army testing its readiness in Punjab war game - May 04, 2012
- Indo -US war games in Babina - Oct 12, 2009
Tags: armoured personnel carrier, asian nations, babina, counter insurgency, french army, global powers, india singapore, indian army, infantry forces, jammu, kazakhstan uzbekistan, mechanised infantry, militaries, military efforts, military exercises, northeastern states, shakti, urban scenario, war games, world peace