Indian Army reviews operational preparedness along Ladakh borderOctober 3rd, 2011 - 3:53 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 3 (IANS) The Indian Army’s Northern Command chief Monday reviewed the operational preparedness of the troops along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) with China and the Actual Ground Position Line (AGPL) with Pakistan on the Siachen glacier, known as the highest battleground in the world.
Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik is on two-day visit to the strategically crucial Ladakh region, where India shares its borders with China, Pakistan-occupied Kashmir and the AGPL at the Siachen glacier.
“The army commander reviewed the operation preparedness on the borders, measures being undertaken to maintain vigilance and sanctity of the Actual Ground Position Line and the Line of Actual Control,” a Northern Command spokesman said in a release issued from its headquarters in Udhampur Monday afternoon.
Parnaik was also given a detailed briefing on the situation in eastern Ladakh - the border with China.
“The army commander gave explicit instructions to all ranks to maintain strict vigil and ensure that the sanctity of the border is not violated at any time,” the spokesman said.
“I am aware of the tough conditions in which you perform your duty with dedication and professionalism. Despite all difficulties, it is commendable that you have maintained full operational readiness and high morale,” Parnaik was quoted as saying.
The army commander was briefed on infrastructure development in the area by the chief engineer of Project Himank.
Modernisation and infrastructure development is the top priority for the government of India and the army, Parnaik said later.
The army commander will visit forward posts on the Siachen Glacier on Tuesday.
- Northern army commander visits India-China border, Siachen - Mar 10, 2011
- Army chief on first visit to Ladakh - Aug 17, 2012
- Army chief visits Ladakh - Nov 05, 2011
- Indian Army vice chief reviews operational preparedness on borders - Oct 19, 2011
- Army chief witnesses exercise in Ladakh - Apr 20, 2011
- Pallam Raju reviews Kashmir security - May 11, 2011
- Common man must not be troubled: Northern Command chief - Sep 26, 2011
- Army chief visits Ladakh, reviews Siachen situation - Apr 20, 2010
- Now, postal cover on Siachen glacier - Oct 06, 2011
- 'Kashmir counter-insurgency operations in more difficult phase' - Jan 10, 2012
- We respect Kashmiris' concerns: Army commander (With image) - Dec 29, 2011
- India monitoring border developments for national security: Krishna - Apr 06, 2011
- Factfile on India-Pakistan Siachen dispute - May 30, 2011
- Army chief visits Srinagar - Mar 28, 2012
- Army commander visits forward areas on LoC - May 07, 2012
Tags: actual control, army commander, battleground, chief engineer, command chief, explicit instructions, government of india, ground position, indian army, infrastructure development, ladakh region, modernisation, monday afternoon, operational readiness, pakistan occupied kashmir, sanctity, siachen glacier, strict vigil, top priority, vigilance