Indian Army inducts first indigenous T-90 tanksAugust 24th, 2009 - 8:43 pm ICT by IANS
Indo-Asian News Service
Avadi (Tamil Nadu), Aug 24 (IANS) The first batch T-90 tanks manufactured in India under license from Russia were Monday handed over to the Indian Army.After a delay of one year, the first batch rolled out of the Heavy Vehicles Factory (HVF) here. The batch of 10 tanks was inducted into the army at a function in Avadi by Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju.
The licensed production of the tanks has been kicked off only after a stalemate with Russia over transfer of technology was resolved.
After concern expressed by the Indian establishment over delay in execution of various defence deals, including T-90 tanks, Russia has reassured India that the delivery will now be on schedule.
Delays in the manufacturing of the indigenous Arjun main battle tank and Pakistan’s decision to purchase the T-80 from Ukraine prompted India to order 310 T-90s in 2001. Of these, 186 were assembled from kits at the Heavy Vehicles Factory at Avadi, near Chennai.
An agreement was also signed for the licensed production of another 1,000 T-90s. This, however, was delayed due to Russia’s reluctance to transfer technology, prompting India to purchase another 300 tanks from Russia last year.
However, the localised production of the tanks had not begun till 2008.
“Last year, we did not make a single tank. At least, a beginning has been made,” an official said.
- Bhishma tank rolls out - Aug 24, 2009
- First T-90 tank to roll out of Indian factory Aug 24 - Aug 08, 2009
- First 50 T-90 tanks to roll out of Indian factory - Jun 04, 2009
- Production of upgraded indigenous tanks by 2014 - Feb 14, 2011
- Trials begin of upgraded Indian main battle tank - Jun 09, 2011
- India roles out indigenous T-90 Bhishma tanks - Aug 24, 2009
- Defence secretary in Russia for talks - Jun 13, 2011
- Summer trials this year of upgraded indigenous battle tank - Jan 17, 2011
- Indian Army to get 124 more Arjun tanks - May 17, 2010
- India, Russia discuss licensed production of T-90 tank - Aug 18, 2008
- Army to buy additional 124 Arjun tanks - May 17, 2010
- India, Russia to hold annual military cooperation talks - Oct 05, 2010
- One dead in battle tank accident - Mar 02, 2012
- India penalises Israeli defence firm for contract breach (Lead) - Apr 16, 2012
- 'Possibility of sabotaging Arjun tanks cannot be ruled out'(First Lead) - Apr 25, 2008