Indian Army has become more transparent, says V.K. SinghMay 31st, 2012 - 2:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 31 (IANS) The functioning of the Indian Army has become more transparent in the last few years and its mindset has changed, said the outgoing army chief, General V.K. Singh, Thursday.
Gen. V.K. Singh Thursday handed over the reins of a 1.13 million-strong army to General Bikram Singh, bringing to an end his 26-month stint as the army chief, which saw controversies toward the end of the tenure.
Summing up his tenure as the army chief, V.K. Singh said: “What we have been able to achieve is change of mindset in the army. We have also been able to ensure hollowness that was affecting the force to be addressed in a cogent manner.”
“We have got lot of support from the defence minister and have achieved fairly good targets and that are in pipeline (policy changes) will address the remaining hollowness,” V.K. Singh told reporters after laying wreath at Amar Jawan Jyoti, the memorial to the Unknown Soldier here.
He said probity has come in the army and it has made things more transparent.
“Because of transparency now you (media) come to know more things about army. The issues which we said were at the heart of army and anybody who wears this uniform will take it forward,” he added.
- Concerned over murder charges against officers: Retiring army chief (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Countdown to army chief's retirement begins - May 05, 2012
- Gen Bikram Singh is Indian Army chief - May 31, 2012
- 'No cover-ups, army's secular character to be maintained' (Second Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- Last veteran of 1971 war Gen. Ghosh retires - May 31, 2012
- Decision on Indian Army chief's age soon: Antony - Apr 25, 2011
- No vindictiveness in show cause notice: Army chief (Lead) - May 26, 2012
- V.K. Singh bids army adieu, leaving legacy of acrimony - May 30, 2012
- V.K. Singh retires, ending controversial tenure (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- SC dismisses plea against Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Age row could have been avoided: Gen Singh (Lead) - May 08, 2012
- Tough days ahead for new Indian Army chief (News Analysis) - May 31, 2012
- IAF head offers advice to army chief on age row - Jul 26, 2011
- Ministry rejection of chief's age plea legally unsound: Army - Sep 04, 2011
- Antony refuses to set deadline for war memorial - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: army chief, bikram singh, chief general, controversies, defence minister, heart, indian army, jawan, mindset, New Delhi, pipeline, probity, reins, stint, targets, tenure, transparency, unknown soldier, wreath