Indian army eyes youth in UttarakhandMarch 23rd, 2012 - 11:51 am ICT by IANS
Dehradun, March 23 (IANS) With the youth showing little interest in joining the Indian Army, the force is devising new ways to lure young men and women to sign up.
The Indian Army is holding a two-day ‘army mela’ at the Mahendra Grounds here in Gadhi Cantt from Saturday.
The fair, to be inaugurated by the Uttarakhand Governor Margaret Alva, is aimed at “informing and attracting” the youth towards the Indian Army, Colonel Manjit Singh of the Uttarakhand sub-area told IANS.
Officials say that the lure of hefty pay packets and lucrative perks in the private sector, Indian youth feel the army is a “not so good option” and hence such fairs are being held across the country.
- BSP joins Uttarakhand government - Mar 20, 2012
- Khanduri again becomes Uttarkahand chief minister - Sep 11, 2011
- Congress set to form Uttarakhand government (Second Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Nepal becoming dangerous destination for Indian businessmen - Jul 14, 2011
- Dhoni, Bindra join elite group as honorary Lt. Colonels - Nov 01, 2011
- Dhoni to spend time with soldiers in Kashmir - Jun 01, 2012
- Uttarakhand deluge: Two army officers killed - Sep 21, 2010
- Congress garners numbers, to stake claim in Uttarakhand (Lead) - Mar 09, 2012
- Uncertainty over government formation in Uttarakhand (Second Lead) - Mar 07, 2012
- Dhoni wants to serve army after his cricketing career ends (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- Sukna land scam: Lt.Gen. Avadesh Prakash sacked by court martial (Roundup) - Dec 03, 2011
- Army personnel show maneuver stunts at Nowshera 'Fauji Mela' - Apr 10, 2011
- Haryana favours one rank, one pension scheme for ex-servicemen - Feb 05, 2011
- 12 killed, 40 missing as rains pound Uttarakhand, Jammu (Lead) - Aug 05, 2012
- Actor Mohanlal under Indian Army scanner for uniform misuse - Oct 11, 2011