Indian Army commemorates 61st foundation dayJanuary 15th, 2009 - 12:51 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 15 (IANS) The Indian Army commemorated its 61st Foundation Day Thursday by paying homage to martyred soldiers. Army Chief General Deepak Kapoor, Navy Chief Admiral Sureesh Mehta and Chief of Air Staff Air Marshall Fali Homi Major paid floral tributes at the Amar Jawan Jyoti at the India Gate here.
Army Day is celebrated on Jan 15 every year to commemorate the appointment in 1949 of General K.M. Cariappa as commander-in-chief of the Indian Army - the first Indian officer to hold the post.
On the occasion, the army chief took the salute at a parade held at the Delhi Cantonment. He also presented Sena Medals for gallantry and unit citations.
Addressing the gathering, General Kapoor said: “The country, especially in Jammu and Kashmir and the northeast, has been facing challenges from elements who want to destroy peace in India and we are working to tackle it.”
The Army Day parade showcased technological prowess and achievements of the Indian Army.
Several serving and retired defence officers were present on the occasion.
- Our patience is being tested: Army chief (Lead) - Jan 15, 2009
- Army commemorates 62nd foundation day - Jan 15, 2010
- Army Chief hosts ''At Home'' on occasion of 61st Foundation Day - Jan 15, 2009
- Southern Command celebrates Indian Army Day - Jan 15, 2011
- Homage to unknown solider marks 61st Indian Army Day - Jan 15, 2009
- Indian army commemorates 61st Foundation Day - Jan 15, 2009
- Ready for any challenge: Indian Army chief - Jan 15, 2012
- Indian Army's armoured regiment honoured - Oct 01, 2011
- India marks 60th Army Day - Jan 15, 2008
- War widows to be inducted into the Army - Jan 15, 2010
- India celebrates 63rd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2012
- Celebration and introspection... India goes tricolour on 63rd R-Day (Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- India celebrates its 60th Republic Day with fervour - Jan 26, 2009
- Military might, 'mini-India' on display at 62nd Republic Day - Jan 26, 2011
- Nation gets set to celebrate 61st Republic Day - Jan 25, 2011