Indian Army chief-designate conferred medal for distinguished serviceApril 17th, 2012 - 11:26 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) Indian Army’s chief-designate and present Eastern Army Commander Lt. Gen. Bikram Singh and vice chief Lt. Gen. Shri Krishna Singh were among senior armed forces officers conferred medals for distinguished service of the most exceptional order by President Pratibha Patil here Tuesday.
These two senior army officers received the Param Visisht Seva Medal (PVSM) in the presence of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi, Defence Minister A.K. Antony, and Minister of State for Defence M.M. Pallam Raju.
Patil also honoured 13 other senior officers — Lt. Gen. S.R. Ghosh, the Western Army commander, Lt. Gen. K.T. Parnaik, the Northern Army commander, Lt. Gen. K. Surendranath, the Army Training Command chief, Lt. Gen. N.C. Marwah, the Andaman and Nicobar fortress commander, Lt. Gen. A.K. Singh, the Southern Army commander, Vice Admiral Shekhar Sinha, the Integrated Defence Staff headquarters chief, Air Marshal D.C. Kumaria, the Western Air commander, and Air Marshal A.K. Gogoi, the South Western Air Commander, with the PVSM.
Indian Navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma, Indian Army chief Gen. V.K. Singh and Indian Air Force chief Air Chief Marshal N.A.K. Browne were also present on the occasion.
These apart, the President also honoured Capt. Ashutosh Kumar and Lieutenant Colonel Kamaldeep Singh, both from Rajputana Rifles, with Kirti Chakra, the second highest peacetime gallantry medals.
She also awarded three bar to Ati Vishist Seva Medal (AVSM) and 18 AVSMs, apart from 16 Shaurya Chakra, the third highest medal for gallantry during peacetime.
- Navy, Army vice chiefs to get highest service medal - Jan 25, 2011
- Young Lieutenant wins Ashok Chakra posthumously - Jan 26, 2012
- 3 Kirti Chakras among defence medals conferred by president - Apr 19, 2011
- President confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 09, 2010
- Army chief reviews Kashmir border security - Feb 09, 2012
- Indian Army's armoured regiment honoured - Oct 01, 2011
- IAF pilots to get Shaurya Chakra, three Vayu Sena Medals - Jan 25, 2011
- Ace fighter pilot Browne is new IAF vice chief (Lead) - Jan 01, 2011
- NDA Commandant conferred Ati Vishisht Seva Medal (With image) - Apr 19, 2012
- Army studying tribunal order on Kargil war - Jun 08, 2010
- Former air force chief Lafontaine is dead - Apr 06, 2011
- President Patil confers gallantry, distinguished service awards - Apr 18, 2011
- Singapore defence chief in India to expand ties - Nov 08, 2011
- Lt. Gen. Halgali is new deputy chief of Indian Army - Feb 13, 2012
- Tainted General questions disciplinary action - Feb 04, 2010
Tags: air chief marshal, air marshal, andaman and nicobar, army commander, bikram singh, gallantry medals, kirti chakra, krishna singh, lieutenant colonel, manmohan singh, northern army, president pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, rajputana rifles, shri krishna, sonia gandhi, southern army, vice admiral, western army