Indian archers will target Olympic berth at World meetJune 30th, 2011 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 30 (IANS) The Indian archers will aim to qualify for the London 2012 Olympics at the 46th World Outdoor Target Archery Championship in Turin, Italy, July 3-10.
For the qualification, the recurve men and recurve women teams have to end among the first eight teams overcoming a strong challenge from more than 600 participants of about 90 countries who will vie for medals and the Olympic berths.
The International Archery Federation (FITA) has allocated to the World Championship 32 places out of 64 per gender for the London 2012 Olympics. There will be subsequent continental qualification tournaments (13 places) and two Final World Team qualification tournaments qualifiers (13 places) until the Olympic Games.
India’s recurve men trio of Jayanta Talukdar, Tarundeep Rai and Rahul Banerjee won silver in the World Cup in Croatia in May. The women’s recurve team — Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro — also bagged silver in the second World Cup in Turkey June 6-12. They will look to give their best shot and seal a berth for the London Games.
Talukdar and Deepika Kumari won the mixed silver medal in the second World Cup which has been included as a new event in the World Championship for the first time.
President of the Archery Association of India (AAI) Vijay Kumar Malhotra gave a send-off to the team Thursday and hoped that the recurve men and women teams will do well and qualify for London Olympics.
- India's men archers qualify for London Olympics - Jun 22, 2012
- Indian archery squad named for World Cups - Jul 13, 2011
- Malhotra congratulates archery contingent for World Cup performance - Sep 10, 2011
- World archery: Indian women make it to London Olympics, men lose - Jul 06, 2011
- Women archers look for Olympic medal, men a berth - Apr 09, 2012
- Olympics: India's archers primed for glory (Preview) - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian women's archery team qualifies for Olympics (Lead) - Jul 06, 2011
- Asian Grand Prix archery: Rich medal haul for India - Feb 19, 2012
- Archers, badminton players exude confidence at send-off - Jul 15, 2012
- 'Only archers who qualify will go to London Olympics' - Oct 12, 2011
- Deepika happy to be World No.1, but focus is on London - Jun 21, 2012
- Rahul, Mangal in Indian archery team for Asian Grand Prix - Feb 09, 2012
- Olympic archery: Deepika's loss completes dismal India show (Lead) - Aug 01, 2012
- World Cup archery: Indian women in bronze medal play-off - Jun 10, 2011
- Being world No.1 is added pressure for Olympics: Deepika - Jul 14, 2012
Tags: 2012 olympics, aai, archery association, banerjee, continental qualification, deepika, international archery federation, london 2012 olympics, london games, london olympics, olympic berth, olympic berths, qualification tournaments, silver medal, talukdar, target archery, time president, turin italy, vijay kumar, vijay kumar malhotra