Indian-American physicist Chopra honoured as Professor EmeritusNovember 13th, 2008 - 2:01 pm ICT by IANS
New York, Nov 13 (IANS) Indian-American physicist Dev Chopra has been honoured as Professor Emeritus by the Texas A&M University, which has also recognised him as the most successful science professor in first 100 years of the university’s history.Chopra, who graduated from the Panjab University, was bestowed with Professor Emeritus status by the university president Dan Jones at a function recently, an official statement said.
“It is a great delight and a great honour, on behalf of the students, faculty, and the Texas A&M University System Board of Regents, to bestow upon you the honour of Professor Emeritus,” Jones said.
Chopra, who worked as physics professor and department head at A&M-Commerce for 33 years, said: “I always told my students I wanted to give them their money’s worth.”
He was named Regents Professor of Physics in 1995 - thus becoming the university’s first recipient of the award.
He published over 70 refereed articles and contributed to several books, graduated a large number of masters students, and received $1.5 million in research grants from external sources.
“Dr. Chopra was the most successful science professor in the first 100 years of the university,” said Ben Doughty, a professor of physics at A&M-Commerce and former department head.
Chopra had his masters in physics from the University of Nebraska, and PhD in the same subject from New Mexico State University.
- Big 12 Worried About Conference - Jun 10, 2010
- Yash Chopra awarded honorary doctorate by British college - Jul 26, 2010
- PM's 'chair' offered to Cambridge professor - May 20, 2012
- India grants scholarships to Sri Lankan students - Jan 19, 2012
- Six Indian-Americans win fellowships - Apr 28, 2012
- Kalam awards Infosys prizes to six noted scientists - Jan 09, 2012
- Reading tables! For laughs and for tips on life (With Images) - May 23, 2012
- Panjab University holds first alumni meet - Feb 19, 2011
- Kaushik Basu to head Infosys' science prize jury - Apr 10, 2012
- University Of Texas Dorm Named After KKK Founder To Be Changed - Jul 12, 2010
- Top business school INSEAD names Dipak Jain as next dean - Sep 20, 2010
- Is nature being edged out of children's books? - Feb 23, 2012
- Anna Hazare's arrest sparks anger in US - Aug 17, 2011
- Ocean temperature patterns key to climate change - Aug 26, 2012
- Panjab University teacher resigns - Feb 17, 2011