Indian American musician charged with molesting a minorMay 29th, 2008 - 5:03 pm ICT by admin
New York, May 29 (IANS) Shafatullah Khan, a well-known Indian classical musician living in the US, has been charged with molesting a 14-year-old student. India-born Shafatullah, 42, lives and teaches music in Pennsylvania. He has been charged with multiple counts of corruption of a minor, indecent assault and related offences, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported Wednesday.
The victim, now 16, said in court Tuesday that she took private keyboard lessons at Shafatullah’s home and that he molested her in 2006 and 2007.
The judge ordered Shafatullah to surrender his passport and stop giving lessons to minors. Shafatullah, a US citizen since 1995, is the son of Imrat Khan, musician brother of the famous sitar maestro Vilayat Khan.
Shafatullah plays sitar, surbahar and tabla and teaches Indian classical music on many instruments. He is featured in at least 16 CDs and has played in concerts throughout the world.
Shafatullah has conducted workshops and demonstrations at universities across the US. Each spring, he performs for students in a world-music course at Lafayette College in Pennsylvania. He was an artiste-in-residence at the college in 1999 and 2000.
In her complaint, the girl said that once, when she mentioned to Shafatullah that her back hurt, he gave her a massage. As her lessons continued, the massages went further, and once he asked her to take off her clothes and touched her breasts, she said.
The girl said she told Shafatullah in February 2007 to stop touching her and he complied. She did not tell her parents about her allegations until a year later. After she did, she provided police with e-mails confiding the incidents to friends.
Shafatullah’s attorney Vincent DiFabio said his client would be exonerated in the trial.
- I'm trying to maintain classical music's purity: Debu Chaudhuri (Interview) - May 28, 2010
- Paul Grant: From Successful Rock Drummer To The Soul Of Santoor - Jan 22, 2011
- Lady Gaga loves the sitar: Fateh Ali Khan (With Images) - Jun 03, 2012
- East meets West in novel music initiative - Nov 24, 2011
- I had a great time recoding with Asha Bhosle: Shujaat Khan - Dec 01, 2010
- Seven global musicians make melody without boundaries (With Images) - Jan 31, 2010
- Sufi singer Zila Khan to perform at Jamia - Feb 07, 2011
- Shujaat Husain Khan's Debuts In Bollywood With 'Mr. Singh Mrs. Mehta' - Jun 04, 2010
- Wigmore Hall, bastion of chamber music, opens doors to Amjad Ali Khan - Sep 22, 2011
- India needs to promote classical music aggressively: Hidayat Hussain (Interview) - Jan 14, 2011
- Amjad Ali Khan to teach at Stanford University - Oct 21, 2011
- Sur, saaz and rockstar: When music is Bollywood's muse - Oct 19, 2011
- Sarod, sitar, tabla, harmonium...in an Indian Army band! - Sep 02, 2011
- Ali Akbar Khan, great emissary of Indian music, dies (Second Lead) - Jun 19, 2009
- Playing flute like practising yoga: Hari Prasad Chaurasia (Interview) - Nov 11, 2010