Indian Air Force jet crashes, one killedApril 30th, 2009 - 2:53 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 30 (IANS) One person was killed when a frontline Su-30MKI combat jet of the Indian Air Force (IAF) crashed while on a routine training mission in Rajasthan, an official said.
The crash occurred at 10.30 a.m., some 70 km southeast of Jaisalmer, an IAF spokesperson said, adding that the aircraft had taken off from the Lohegaon air base near Pune.
The two-man crew ejected before the jet crashed. The pilot, Wing Commander S.V. Munje, survived but the navigator, Wing Commander P.S. Narah, succumbed to his injuries, the spokesperson added.
There were no reports of damage to property on the ground.
This is the first crash of a Su-30MKI, which was inducted into the IAF in 1997. The IAF operates three squadrons (approximately 55 aircraft) of the jet, which is being manufactured under license in India by Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
It was not immediately clear whether the aircraft that crashed was among those purchased in fly away condition or had been manufactured in India.
- Second Sukhoi crashes within an year, pilots safe (Second Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- IAF Sukhoi crashes in Rajasthan, pilots safe (Lead) - Nov 30, 2009
- Sukhois resume flying, nearly a month after crash - May 25, 2009
- A day after Sukhoi crash, fleet grounded, checks underway - May 01, 2009
- SU-30 MK-I crashes in Rajasthan, pilot killed - Apr 30, 2009
- Sukhoi's flight data recorder sent to London for analysis - May 27, 2009
- Russian experts summoned as IAF's Sukhoi fleet still grounded - May 05, 2009
- Sukhoi fighter jets back in the sky - Dec 07, 2009
- Crash-hit Sukhois get Indian Air Force chief's thumbs up - Dec 21, 2011
- IAF checks its fighter planes following Jaisalmer crash - Dec 02, 2009
- IAF inducts second SU-30 squadron in northeast - Mar 01, 2011
- Sukhoi Su-30 jet crash raises heat in Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Jul 08, 2009
- Black box of crashed Sukhoi combat jet badly damaged: Minister - Jul 08, 2009
- Systems failure caused Sukhoi Su-30 crash: Antony - Jul 22, 2009
- IAF Sukhoi jet crashes near Pune, pilots safe (Third Lead) - Dec 13, 2011