India women finish with silver medal at junior Asia Cup hockeyJuly 7th, 2012 - 9:33 pm ICT by IANS
Bangkok, July 7 (IANS) India lost 2-5 to China and finished with a silver medal at the sixth Junior Women’s Asia Cup hockey championship here Saturday.
This was India’s best showing in the tournament after four bronze medals.
Taking the pitch against a team that had beaten it 2-5 in the Group A league, India played superbly to lead the Chinese 2-0 after 25 minutes, when a 10-minute interruption because of rain hampered their rhythm.
Deep Grace Ekka scored in the seventh minute courtesy a penalty stroke while skipper and midfielder Ritu Rani scored a field goal four minutes later. India had the better of the exchanges for another quarter-hour before a spell of rain forced play to be suspended.
Five minutes after play resumed, Na Wang scored a field goal to reduce the margin and turn the tide. She scored off a penalty corner two minutes into the second half to restore parity. Weija Hao struck two goals in three minutes to give China a 4-2 lead.
Jiaqi Li completed the rout in the 48th minute. India beat Japan 2-1 in the semifinal.
The Indian team has qualified for the Junior Women’s World Cup to be held next year.
- India eves go down to China in Junior Asia Cup - Jul 02, 2012
- India eves in final of junior Asia Cup - Jul 06, 2012
- Indian eves thrash Singapore 9-0 in junior Asia Cup hockey - Jun 29, 2012
- India eves in semis of Junior Asia Cup hockey - Jul 03, 2012
- Junior Asia Cup: India play 2-2 draw with Pakistan - May 06, 2012
- Indian team announced for junior women's Asia Cup - Jun 05, 2012
- India in semis of junior men's Asia Cup hockey - May 07, 2012
- MP wins sub-junior girls hockey - Dec 20, 2011
- India bag bronze in four-nation women's hockey meet - Dec 19, 2011
- Indian men win bronze at junior Asia Cup hockey - May 13, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: Indian women lose bronze to Japan - Sep 10, 2011
- Punjab win Junior National Hockey Championship - Sep 09, 2012
- India thrash Sri Lanka 11-0 in Junior Asia Cup - May 04, 2012
- Indian women's hockey team lose 0-3 to US - Apr 18, 2012
- Asian Champions Trophy: India-Pakistan in final - Sep 09, 2011
Tags: asia cup hockey, bronze medals, field goal, five minutes, four minutes, hao, hockey championship, india women, interruption, junior women, parity, penalty stroke, rani, rout, silver medal, skipper, spell of rain, three minutes, two minutes, world cup