India wins election to UN panel on racial discriminationDecember 1st, 2011 - 12:38 pm ICT by IANS
United Nations, Dec 1 (IANS) India’s nominee Dilip Lahiri has been re-elected to serve on the UN Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination (CERD) for a three year term, beginning Jan 20, 2012.
Lahiri, who has had a distinguished career in the Indian Foreign Service for close to four decades before retiring in 2005, secured 147 votes in the elections held here Wednesday. Huang Yong’an of China was also elected with 148 votes.
Other elected members include Romania, Colombia, South Africa, Burkina Faso, Guatemala and the US.
Lahiri, a member of the CERD since 2008, has previously served as Indian ambassador to Peru, Bolivia, Spain and France.
He has had long experience of multilateral diplomacy in the UN, the Nonaligned Movement and the Commonwealth covering security and disarmament, international law, human rights and social issues, climate change and environment.
Lahiri has supervised the preparation of India’s national reports to the monitoring bodies of various UN human rights instruments and also participated in the process of amending domestic laws to conform to UN human rights instruments to which India became party.
The CERD is a body of independent experts that monitors implementation of the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination by its State parties.
- 15 countries elected to UN Human Rights Council - May 21, 2011
- UN human rights body claims racial discrimination "embedded" in Australia - Aug 28, 2010
- Speak up against Roma expulsion by France, India told (Lead) - Aug 29, 2010
- India asked to speak up against Roma expulsion by France - Aug 29, 2010
- UN welcomes UAE report on human rights - Aug 07, 2009
- India elected to UN Economic and Social Council - Oct 25, 2011
- UN backs gay rights - Jun 18, 2011
- Indian American Geeta Pasi is new US envoy to Djibouti (Lead) - Apr 06, 2011
- Geeta Pasi is new US envoy to Djibouti - Apr 06, 2011
- Mali situation under close watch: UNHCR - Mar 23, 2012
- Oz to face UN committee over 'racist' Northern Territory intervention allegations - Aug 10, 2010
- Hindus criticize Helsinki for Roma repatriation - Nov 27, 2010
- Racism rising at the workplace in Italy - Mar 09, 2012
- Hindus denounce Romania proposal of renaming "Roma" as "Gypsy" - Feb 03, 2011
- Indian legal eagles to battle 'ban Gita' move in Russia - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: burkina faso, cerd, climate change, commonwealth, convention on the elimination of all forms, dilip, disarmament, elimination of all forms of racial discrimination, forms of racial discrimination, four decades, human rights instruments, independent experts, indian ambassador, indian foreign service, lahiri, multilateral diplomacy, nonaligned movement, social issues, south africa, state parties