India welcomes US designating Indian Mujahideen terror outfitSeptember 16th, 2011 - 10:49 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) India Friday welcomed the US move to designate the Indian Mujahideen as a foreign terror outfit, saying it underscored the destructive agenda of the organisation with trans-regional links and operations.
Reacting to US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s Thursday orders in this regard, Indian Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said the designation of Indian Mujahideen as a global terrorist reflected the shared commitment of the two nations to combat terrorism.
“India welcomes the designation by the US Secretary of State of Indian Mujahideen (IM) as a Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO) and as Specially Designated Global Terrorist. The US designation reflects our shared commitment to combat terrorism, as well as, the strong and growing bilateral counter-terrorism cooperation, which is an important component of the India-US strategic partnership,” Prakash said, responding to reporters’ query.
The designation recognised Indian Mujahideen’s links with Pakistan-based Lashkar e-Taiba (LeT), Jaish-e-Mohammed (JEM) and Harkat ul-Jihad-i-Islami (HUJI), and noted that the outfit was responsible for dozens of bomb attacks throughout India since 2005 including playing a facilitative role in the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attack carried out by LeT.
“This underscores once again the destructive agenda of these organisations with trans-regional links and operations, and the responsibility of all countries in our neighbourhood and beyond, to join hands with the international community to root out the menace of terrorism, once and for all,” he added.
- US declares Indian Mujahideen foreign terrorist group - Sep 16, 2011
- US slaps sanctions on LeT, JeM - Nov 05, 2010
- US freezes assets of three Pakistani terrorists - Dec 03, 2010
- India welcomes US reward for LeT chief's capture - Apr 03, 2012
- Bomb blast: Too early to say Varanasi was the work of Pak-based Jehadis - Dec 09, 2010
- High court blast aimed at saving Guru from gallows: NIA - Mar 13, 2012
- WikiLeaks: Maoists not getting support from outside India - Dec 18, 2010
- ISI has floated new terror outfit, says militant - Aug 30, 2010
- Canada blacklists Pakistan Taliban - Jul 06, 2011
- Indian Mujahideen targeting Darbhanga for recruits? - Apr 03, 2012
- Terrorists of today fathered by Pak were yesteryear 'heroes' prior to 9/11 : Zardari - Mar 10, 2010
- An eye opener on Pakistan's terrorist arm (IANS Book Review) - May 03, 2012
- India's list of 50 most wanted terrorists in Pakistan - May 11, 2011
- US to work with India in war against terror - Sep 16, 2011
- Tribunal upholds ban on SIMI - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: bomb attacks, counter terrorism, designation, foreign terrorist organization, fto, harkat ul, hillary clinton, huji, indian ministry, jem, jihad, lashkar e taiba, ministry of external affairs, mohammed, neighbourhood, New Delhi, spokesperson, strategic partnership, terrorist attack, us secretary of state