India welcomes Syria ceasefire, wishes Annan successApril 13th, 2012 - 5:41 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 13 (IANS) India Friday welcomed the ceasefire in Syria and hoped that the UN mission led by Special Envoy Kofi Annan will have “further success” in ensuring lasting peace in the Middle East country.
“We welcome the developments in Syria in response to the mission of UN Special Envoy Kofi Annan,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Syed Akbaruddin said here.
“We hope this mission will have further success in the resolution of all issues, leading to lasting peace in Syria,” he said.
UN-Arab League envoy Annan, a former UN secretary general, has said he is encouraged by reports that “the situation in Syria is relatively calm and that the cessation of hostilities appears to be holding”.
Annan has, however, stressed that the Syrian government must carry out all the agreed peace plans, which include a withdrawal of troops and heavy weapons from cities.
India has backed the political transition in the Middle East country where rebels and government forces are locked in a power conflict for the past few months.
The UN is readying a plan to send observers to Syria to ensure that the Syrian government keeps its commitments according to a peace plan, which has been agreed to by President Bashar al-Assad.
- Peace plan not implemented in Syria: Annan - Jun 08, 2012
- US sees no Iranian role in ending Syrian violence - Jul 11, 2012
- Annan asks UNSC to speak in one voice over Syria - Mar 17, 2012
- Russia ready to back Annan proposals on Syria in UNSC - Mar 21, 2012
- UN Syria envoy Kofi Annan to visit Russia - Mar 22, 2012
- No arms to Syria opposition: France - Apr 20, 2012
- US playing blame game over Annan resignation: Iran - Aug 03, 2012
- UN monitors should be from neutral countries, like BRICS: Syria - Apr 22, 2012
- Syrian president ready for honest effort to solve crisis - Mar 11, 2012
- Syria on brink of civil conflict: Lavrov - Jun 10, 2012
- 'Annan to visit Iran for Syria talks' - Apr 05, 2012
- Annan admits failure of Syrian peace mission - Jul 08, 2012
- Syrian ceasefire first Step of Annan's plan: US - Apr 13, 2012
- Direct talks in Syrian standoff unlikely: Russia - May 15, 2012
- Assad regime accepts Kofi Annan's peace plan - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: arab league, bashar al assad, ceasefire, cessation, commitments, external affairs ministry, government forces, hostilities, kofi annan, lasting peace, New Delhi, observers, peace plan, peace plans, political transition, president bashar, rebels, spokesperson, syrian government, un secretary general