India welcomes Russian court’s dismissal of Gita ban pleaDecember 28th, 2011 - 10:10 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 28 (IANS) India has welcomed the dismissal by a Russian court of a plea to ban the Hindu holy scripture the Bhagvad Gita.
“We are happy to learn that the legal case in connection with the publication, ‘Bhagvad Gita as it is’, has been dismissed by the Court in Tomsk in the Russian Federation,” external affairs ministry spokesperson Vishnu Prakash said.
Appreciating the “sensible resolution of a sensitive issue” the spokesperson said the Indian government is “glad to put this episode behind it”.
He said the decision demonstrated yet again that the “people of India and Russia have a deep understanding of each other’s cultures and will always reject any attempt to belittle common civilisational values”.
The spokesperson also thanked India’s friends in Russia for their support.
“We also appreciate the efforts of all friends in Russia who made this outcome possible,” Prakash said.
The case had invited strong reactions from all over the world, forcing the Indian government to seek the help of the Russian government for its resolution.
The issue was highlighted after IANS broke the story last week.
–Indo-Asian News service
- 'Ban Gita' plea dismissed in Russia (Intro Roundup) - Dec 29, 2011
- 'Ban Gita' plea dismissed in Russia (Roundup) - Dec 28, 2011
- Gita ban case work of 'misdirected individuals', says India (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Russian envoy denounces 'madmen' seeking ban on Gita - Dec 20, 2011
- India's stand on 'ban Gita' case in Russia vindicated: Government - Dec 29, 2011
- Anxiety grips Hindus in Russia; prosecutors pursue 'Ban Gita' case - Mar 19, 2012
- BJP writes to Medvedev against Gita ban - Dec 21, 2011
- Russian court dismisses plea to ban Gita (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- India taking serious note of Gita case in Russia - Dec 20, 2011
- Ban only Russian comment in Bhagvad Gita: Prosecutors - Feb 16, 2012
- Russian court dismisses plea to ban Gita (Second Lead) - Mar 21, 2012
- 'Ban Gita' court battle restarts in Russia (Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Russian court dismisses case seeking Gita ban - Mar 21, 2012
- Russia should help resolve Gita issue: India (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Gita row snowballs, India raises issue at 'highest levels' (Evening Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
Tags: aag, asian news, bhagvad gita, cultures, external affairs ministry, hindu, holy scripture, indian government, indo, legal case, New Delhi, news service, plea, russian court, russian federation, russian government, sensitive issue, spokesperson, tomsk, vm