India, US want peaceful rise of China: PalinMarch 20th, 2011 - 12:18 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 19 (IANS) Former US vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin Saturday said India and the United States want to ensure China’s peaceful rise, even as she expressed concern at Chinese military build-up.
“We want to both ensure that China’s rise is peaceful, while hedging against bets that it could be otherwise,” Palin said in her keynote address at the India Today Conclave.
She also raised China in the context of US and India working together to keep the transportation channels in the Indian Ocean safe.
The former governor of Alaska, who is likely to seek the Republican ticket for the next US presidential elections, said that it was important for both countries to be clear on what expectations they had from China.
“I personally have huge military concerns about China. They are stockpiling ballistic missiles, submarines, new age ultra modern fighter aircraft. Is that all for a defensive posture? How could that be when you don’t see a tangible outside threat to that country?” said Palin.
She admitted that there were very close economic links between India and China. Referring to the trillions of dollar of US debt held by China, Palin said it was dangerous to be so reliant on one country.
“China has a choice - they can either become part of the path that many other countries are on and seek democracy, freedom or go the other way,” asserted Palin.
She hoped that the US could put “constructive pressure” on China to seek the right path.
- In India, Palin still nurtures White House ambitions - Mar 20, 2011
- US, India will lead 21st century: Palin - Mar 20, 2011
- Sarah Palin to address annual conclave Saturday - Mar 17, 2011
- China dismisses Pentagon report on military - Aug 27, 2011
- Palin calls for stronger Indo- US ties - Mar 20, 2011
- Australia, US concerned over China's growing military power - Mar 09, 2011
- Would love to see Taj Mahal with husband: Sarah Palin - Mar 19, 2011
- Shangri La Dialogue: 'Anodyne' Antony belied expectations (Comment) - Jun 08, 2012
- No limit to expansion of nuke arsenal: China - Feb 28, 2011
- India should build n-deterrent against China: book - Aug 27, 2012
- Shun violence, join mainstream: President Patil to Maoists - Jun 24, 2011
- Some countries are provoking China: daily - Aug 01, 2012
- Sarah Palin plans March trip to India - Feb 24, 2011
- China hikes defence budget, seeks friendly ties with India (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- Pak's nuke arms expansion posing direct challenge to US policy: Report - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,