India, US to put women’s issues in strategic dialogueMarch 1st, 2012 - 12:52 pm ICT by IANS
New York, March 1 (IANS) India and the US have agreed that issues related to women’s empowerment should be integrated into all aspects of the India-US Strategic Dialogue.
The agreement was reached at the third meeting of the India-US Women’s Empowerment Dialogue (WED) held Monday in New York, according to US State Department.
The Dialogue was co-chaired by Neela Gangadharan, Secretary of India’s Ministry of Women and Child Development, and Ambassador Melanne Verveer, Ambassador at Large for Global Women’s Issues in the State Department.
They attended the 56th session of the UN Commission on Status of Women in New York.
The two discussed issues related to women’s social and economic empowerment, political participation of women, early childhood education, skill development of women and girls and strengthening of institutional linkages and exchanges, the State department said.
“They reviewed the progress that institutions in the US and India have already achieved and discussed new ideas to take the dialogue forward,” it said.
“The two co-chairs agreed that issues related to women’s empowerment should be integrated into all aspects of the India-US Strategic Dialogue,” it added.
- Indian, Pakistani officials discuss women's issues - Feb 28, 2012
- Farming, business top US global agenda for women: Envoy - Jul 22, 2011
- India, US to hold strategic dialogue, Iran high on agenda - Jun 08, 2012
- India-US talks open with call to harness full potential of ties - Jun 13, 2012
- Indian envoy asks private sector to focus on 'big picture' - Feb 25, 2012
- Hillary Clinton to visit India, China, Bangladesh - Apr 27, 2012
- China, France pledge to deepen military ties - Oct 01, 2011
- India-US discuss range of defence issues ahead of strategic dialogue (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- India-US education summit a 'very big deal' - Oct 12, 2011
- Shared values converging India-US interests: Clinton (Lead) - Jun 13, 2012
- New Delhi to host US-India dialogue on East Asian affairs - Apr 02, 2011
- US senators confident of 'true partnership' with India - Dec 01, 2011
- India-US Strategic Dialogue postponed due to assembly polls, WANA situation - Mar 11, 2011
- India, US hold higher education dialogue - Jun 12, 2012
- Hillary Clinton to visit India next month - Apr 27, 2012
Tags: ambassador, child development, co chairs, dialogue, early childhood education, empowerment, girls, global women, India, institutional linkages, institutions, march 1, ministry of women, political participation, skill development, state department, status of women, women in new york