India, US discuss Iran, visa hikeApril 2nd, 2012 - 8:39 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 2 (IANS) Ahead of External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna’s visit to Washington for the India-US strategic dialogue, the two countries held talks Monday on a host of bilateral and global issues that included the Iranian sanctions and the US visa fee hike that is hurting the Indian IT industry.
Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai held wide-ranging talks with US Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs Wendy Sherman to firm up the agenda for the forthcoming strategic dialogue between Krishna and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Washington in June.
Sherman also met National Security Adviser Shivshankar Menon and held discussions on closer collaboration in combating terrorism and in issues relating to the Afghanistan-Pakistan region, informed sources said.
India conveyed its concerns over the proposed US sanctions against Iran which has the potential to undermine India’s energy security as it imports around 10-12 per cent of its oil requirements from that country, said the sources.
The US appreciated India’s position and agreed with New Delhi in opening space for dialogue to resolve the Iranian nuclear issue.
India also raised concerns over what it sees as “discrimination” against the Indian software companies which are being asked to pay higher H-1B and L1 visa fee for their employees than the American firms.
The US assuaged India’s concerns and rejected the impression of any discrimination targeted against the Indian IT industry, said the sources.
- US urges India to press Iran over nuclear issue (Lead) - Apr 02, 2012
- Mathai to visit US next week: N-deal, Iran on agenda - Feb 01, 2012
- N-deal, Iran sanction to figure in Mathai's talks in US - Feb 06, 2012
- Mathai meets Clinton, says India committed to n-deal - Feb 09, 2012
- 26/11 justice: India hails US $10 mn bounty for Hafiz Saeed (Lead) - Apr 03, 2012
- Clinton's visit: India, US to discuss Afghanistan, Iran, n-deal (Lead) - May 04, 2012
- India, US to hold strategic dialogue, Iran high on agenda - Jun 08, 2012
- India backs trilateral dialogue with US, China - Feb 07, 2012
- Amid Western pressure, India, Iran seek closer economic ties (Roundup) - May 31, 2012
- Clinton begins India visit: Terror, AfPak, n-deal top agenda (Night Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- Unilateral sanctions shouldn't impact legitimate trade with Iran: India (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Terrorism, trade, visas to top India-Pakistan talks (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Terrorism to dominate Krishna, Khar talks - Sep 06, 2012
- Obama's envoy to India gets Senate nod - Mar 31, 2012
- PM heads to Tehran for NAM summit, Iran ties in focus (Lead) - Aug 25, 2012
Tags: afghanistan pakistan, combating terrorism, energy security, external affairs minister, global issues, hillary clinton, indian software companies, iran visa, iranian sanctions, krishna, mathai, national security adviser, New Delhi, nuclear issue, political affairs, ranjan, secretary of state, us secretary of state, visa fee hike, wendy sherman